Re: [hotpotatoesusers] Re: Hot Potaoes is not open source? ( for John.)

  • Martin Holmes
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hi John,

      John Taylor-Johnston wrote:

      > Aaah! :) But an OS business plan is even better! Makes more money too.

      You have open-source software. Have you made a lot of money?

      > But no, I've e-known Martin long enough. If he would just share the
      > cookie dough for JCloze version 2 - something that was not sold to UVic,

      Nothing has ever been "sold" to UVic. UVic has rights over what we
      produce at work. That's the case for anyone who does creative work in
      their workplace, unless their contract specifically says not. I would
      guess that your employer has some rights over your work, and might
      assert them if it wished to prevent you from open-sourcing it.

      > why I'd be happy and promise never to redistribute it. I'd even pay
      > for it. Remember the good old days when he put ╚ ╛ around the gapped
      > words? That is the code I'd like to buy. But hélas, sniff :-( - he
      > never responds. $100 would ice a lot of cupcakes.

      What exactly do you want from JCloze? It consists of dozens of libraries
      of code. Ask a straight question and you'll probably get a straight
      answer, but "give me everything" is not practical, because I'm not
      legally entitled to.

      Cheers,
      Martin

      > J ;-)
      >
      > hennyjellema wrote:
      >
      >> Beste John,
      >>
      >> In hotpotatoesusers@yahoogroups.com, John Taylor-Johnston
      >> <eslcafe@u...> wrote:
      >> > Hi,
      >> >
      >> > Just to chime in, a little late, yes indeed, I do think every
      >> software,
      >> > I thank
      >> > Martin immensely for giving me licenses to slam and bang his
      >> special
      >> > software just to make sure they are up to snuff with the rest of
      >> the HP
      >> > family. I'm a happy tester.
      >> >
      >> > As for longevity, I still use mine, which were made for me to do
      >> > repetitive tasks. But as for other OS projects, they last only
      >> when they
      >> > have a wide-spread use and need. An OS project is even more
      >> successful
      >> > when even free-riders contribute by the smallest things, like
      >> asking a
      >> > question or making a comment.
      >>

      >> But look, what if you need to earn money with a program? Maybe you
      >> have other sources of income, but as far as I understand, Martin
      >> and Stewart live for a part on this programming.
      >> And considering the time they spend on it, that seems very normal to
      >> me.
      >>
      >> I admit, I have my sadistic moments towards Martin, but all
      >> together I don't think, he should suffer hunger. And most of the
      >> time he even deserves his piece of chocolate on Sundays, don't you
      >> think?
      >>
      >> About open source: what do you think of this? It is in Dutch, but I
      >> think you can understand what it means. Three open source LMS-es
      >> compared to each other.
      >>
      >> <http://www.proefopstelling.nl/>
      >>
      >> Hartelijke groeten van Henny.

    • sarneil
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2005
        Hi John

        Alas, it's not that simple. Some of the code used in that product developed on
        personal time may be covered by legal agreements with the university
        protecting the same code implemented in future versions of Hot Pot, some may
        have been developed on university time in which case the university owns it,
        and on and on. Now that Hot Potatoes code has commercial value, everyone pays
        more attention to what happens to it - even if it is code from 6 years ago.

        Stewart Arneil
        Half-Baked Software Inc.