Rehearsal Tip 1-06

  • Victor C
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2006
      Week 1 - Record, Listen, Review Your Rehearsal

      Hi this is Richard from the Hothouse, "where music grows".

      Please join me for the "Hothouse Rehearsal Tip of the Week".

      Each week I will be discussing various methods and techniques to help
      your rehearsals become more effective and efficient.

      Record, Listen, Review Your Rehearsal

      Since this is the first program a good starting point is always
      to take an inventory. Where is each of the songs at in their
      development?

      Your next rehearsal…RECORD IT. You don't any need fancy recording
      equipment, Aunt Margaret's tape recorder and a mic are perfect.

      After that rehearsal, set a date when all the band members can listen
      to the recording and commit to it.

      At this listening party take off your musicians' hat, your
      songwriter's hat and put on your listening hat. This is the hat you
      wear when you listen to other artists' music. This perspective will
      help you listen to your music with a subjective ear. Pretend you are
      at pre-release listening party and the A&R rep asks you to write down
      your impressions and feelings about the songs you are about to hear.
      Everyone in the band should bring pen and paper to your listening
      party and take notes. Producers are especially good at listening to
      music with a subjective ear. They're able to "empty their cup" and
      let their bodies tell them if the song is reaching its' potential
      yet. They're concerned with the big picture…the SONG.

      Listen to one song at a time and then discuss it merits and
      shortcomings. Take notes. This is your music it's serious business.

      Listen for tempo, for cohesiveness of sound. Listen to the music
      during the vocal sections with a critical ear. Does the music
      support the vocal melody? Does the vocal melody line need to be
      tweaked? Does the bass and kick drum patterns sync up? For the
      songwriters, is the song I'm hearing matching up with the song I hear
      playing in my head? And so on and so forth. By cohesiveness of
      sound I mean each instrument being in agreement with the other
      instruments and the vocals of the song. As a listener when your ear
      hears instruments playing over the top of other instruments in the
      song, especially during vocal sections, your mind just says "No".

      Your job is to create new musical ideas to overcome any weak points
      in the song. Then just try them out at your next rehearsal.
      Communicate to each other what your musical ideas are for a
      particular section you're working on and just try out each and every
      one of them. Don't try and decide which idea is best until you've
      heard it played as a band and given it your best shot. Remember your
      body will tell you when you've got it right. You'll feel it.

      Thanks for joining me this week for the "Hothouse Rehearsal Tip of
      the Week ".

      Join us at our Yahoo Group called hothousemusic

      Send your questions or thought for topics and we'll work on
      incorporating them into each weekly program.

      This is Richard Morales signing off for the Hothouse Music Group.
      See you next week.

      © Hothouse Music Group, All rights reserved. To use this article on
      your site please contact us at studio@....

      Hothouse content is the intellectual property of Hothouse. Any
      copying, republication or redistribution of Hothouse content,
      including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly
      prohibited without the prior written consent of Hothouse. Hothouse
      shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any
      actions taken in reliance thereon. Hothouse and the Hothouse Logo are
      trademarks and registered trademarks of the Hothouse Group of
      companies around the world.