Re: [honolulu-coders] Glassfish - spawn of the Devil!

  • Clifton Royston
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 19, 2011
      On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:34:54AM -1000, g wrote:
      > Hi Cliff,
      >
      > Thank you for the suggestions ... but ... well ... that tracing things
      > down part ... it only works till you get to a single line of code using
      > the Java API classes over which you have no control and whose code you
      > really can't see ... like:
      >

      > > Object obj = ctx.lookup("jms/goFactory");
      >
      > // works local but not remote
      >
      > Then it either works or it doesn't. And to compound the problem ...
      > even when I went up to the remote host for my remote Glassfish server
      > and looked in the logs ... they had the same error message that turned
      > out to be spurious and meaningless.
      >
      > Because as it turned out, the problem was in a bug.
      >
      > Normally once you register your installation, it, like windows,
      > automatically downloads and installs updates as they are release ... as
      > my local glassfish was doing ... so it worked fine ... and I finally
      > figured my remote couldn't do (even though registered for them) because
      > it lived behind a virtual server that lived behind the linux operating
      > system on eApps.com's machine ... with heaven knows how much else
      > between it and the outside word.
      >
      > Ergo the code works fine on my updated local server didn't on my not
      > updated remote one.

      Actually, that's the primary point I was trying to make about
      debugging - to track down what the actual difference between the case
      that works (local) and the one that doesn't (remote.)

      Glad you tracked it down successfully. Solutions aren't always as
      simple as finding the problem, and that seems to be the remaining issue
      in your case too.

      -- Clifton

      --
      Clifton Royston -- cliftonr@... / cliftonr@...