Re: [honolulu-coders] Lost In (Oracal's) Cyber CyberSpace

  • Clifton Royston
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2011
      On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 08:41:37PM -0000, piikoicoder wrote:
      > I'm too lost to figure out what my question really is. I need help!
      > Here's my sad story. I think (hope) it's interesting enough to
      > intrigue. grin ... it would be to me if it wasn't me.
      > PROBLEM: My automatic update tool was updating a copy of the JDK/JRE I
      > didn't use ... or want to use.
      > Note: I using Windows 7 64 bit.
      > WRONG SOLUTION:
      > I uninstalled EVRYTHING Java, Glassfish, and Eclipse.
      > But, this time that web site said:
      > "We were unable to detect a recent version of Java Runtime Environment
      > (JRE) on your system."
      > So I thought maybe I'd reinstall IE9.

      So, can I infer that all of these web adventures were using IE?

      > I downloaded and ran:
      > IE9-Windows7-x64-enu.exe
      > It said I couldn't reinstall, because I already had a later version.
      > Then I went directly to
      > [4]https://login.oracle.com/mysso/signon.jsp
      > just to see if I can log on to my Oracle account to see if I could do
      > that unrelated anything else.
      > I could't. I had the same "Do-Nothing" response to my every attempt to
      > sign in to my Oracle account ... or establish a new one.
      > So for now I'll settle for help on how to just let my browser see the
      > JRE that is really there.
      > Or even how that heck I can uninstall IE9. Seems you can't uninstall
      > unless there is an earlier version it can fall back to ... which being
      > a new computer there isn't.

      In general Microsoft makes it very hard to roll back IE upgrades,
      though it sounds from your later email like you managed to.

      > Anyone with enough pity to offer suggestions?

      Sure. Use another browser, either Firefox, Chrome, or even Opera.

      That'll take 5 minutes to install and will let you know right away
      whether the problem is really with your JDK/JRE install or with IE. My
      first guess is that it's IE. If it is, and Java is working except for
      IE, then you can start focusing on getting productive again and fix IE
      at your leisure. The only thing I use IE for is to download Firefox.

      If Java still doesn't work in a different browser, go to the Windows
      Control Panel, the Programs and Features section, and see if Java/etc. is
      listed as installed. If it is, do an Uninstall from there, and then
      rerun install from the Java package you downloaded at the beginning of
      this ordeal.

      I think you want to see it appear under the "Program Files"
      directory, btw. The "Program Files (x86)" directory is only for 32-bit
      programs running under 64-bit Windows.
      -- Clifton

      --
      Clifton Royston -- cliftonr@... / cliftonr@...