RE: [honolulu-coders] java exams ?

  • g
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2008

      Hi and Thanx to all for the input on Sun's exams ...  (for me it's probably a few months worth of review to digest it all)

      George

      PS: RE: This comment from Dave:

      /*******************************************************************/

      /* "Maybe we could do a code review at some Honolulu Coders meeting? It can

      /* be fun to debate a particular instance, if you don't take it too

      /* personally and the criticisms are kept constructive. You can get a mix

      /* of expertise. I'd be interested in seeing some WebStart and Swing code,

      /* and might be able to help with J2EE and JDBC. I'm sure Dan could help

      /* with Swing. Ask Sam, if you'd like to try this."

      /*******************************************************************/

      I don't mind criticism.

      Heck, I'd even fund the food and beer to have someone to talk to.

      Just give me a month to get a presentation ready and I'd jump at the chance to get publicly stoned by some pros.

      If you are out there Sam, please let me know if this holds any interest.

      The app is developed in Eclipse, compiled by Ant, run on both my local and dedicated remote JBoss J2EE server, so it’s easy to display and tinker with.

      To be useful I think it has to start with something like a 30 minute spot during a future meeting.

      It really is made to order for to order for "constructive criticism" on many issues -- too many to cover all at once: MVC, OOPS, dealing with a huge number of application constants, JMS vs. HTML, J2EE Enterprise Beans, J2EE vs. Servlets, data sharing twixt classes – swapping references vs. event listeners.  [Being a control freak I am still trying to guarantee an absolute text height, i.e. 1/8 inch on a screen.  I hate web sites where adjusting the window screws up the layout].      etc. etc. etc.

      To start, I think it would be thought provoking to just figuring out what OOP - MVC architecture means in terms of building JFrame clients for a generalized game that is played real time between remote and local clients with a server side data base in the middle.  Grin ... I was a very literal child, so I started with three classes: View, Model and Controller.  But when got to the JMenuBar, I confused myself debating whether it should live in the Controller package or with View.

      So let me know if the topic and free food and beer is enough to interest the forum:

      If so, I will prepare for a half hour or so presentation.

      Based on the first meeting we can either:

      -- scrap the idea or

      -- I can rework things for the next meeting and move on.

      George

    • Hal Richman
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 11, 2008
        I just purchased the head start series and it is quite good.