Java Swing

  • piikoicoder
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 22, 2008
      A while ago there was a thread started by someone who invested much
      time in Swing and was asking about its future.

      Now I can's seem to find that thread.

      Anyone have time to help me find it again.

      George Berish
    • Daniel Leuck
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 22, 2008
        Hey George,

        I've done quite a bit of Swing development. We have had several
        discussions about Swing in this group and I've blogged about it a
        number of times on TechHui (http://www.techhui.com). I'm currently
        working on JSR 296, the Swing Applicaiton Framework
        (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=296) Larry Melia has also written
        about Swing here and on TechHui.

        In terms of the commercial side of things we are getting more Flex
        work these days but we still have two active Swing projects going.
        The biggest Swing projects we have done have been for Bank of America
        where Swing is in heavy use.

        The best place to read about what's happening in the Java desktop /
        rich client space is here:
        http://community.java.net/javadesktop

        Fellow TechHuian David Qiao (http://www.techhui.com/profile/DavidQiao)
        has a company that makes excellent Swing components you may want to
        checkout:
        http://www.jidesoft.com

        I've used them on several projects.

        If you have any specific questions about Swing, SAF or JavaFX I'd be
        happy to help.

        Dan
        dan@...

        --
        Daniel Leuck
        President
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 22, 2008
          You also might be thinking of Seth Ladd, who wrote a book on Swing and
          who I think mentioned that he's now dropped it altogether.

          On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Daniel Leuck <dan@...> wrote:
          > Hey George,
          >
          > I've done quite a bit of Swing development. We have had several
          > discussions about Swing in this group and I've blogged about it a
          > number of times on TechHui (http://www.techhui.com). I'm currently
          > working on JSR 296, the Swing Applicaiton Framework
          > (http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=296) Larry Melia has also written
          > about Swing here and on TechHui.
          >
          > In terms of the commercial side of things we are getting more Flex
          > work these days but we still have two active Swing projects going.
          > The biggest Swing projects we have done have been for Bank of America
          > where Swing is in heavy use.
          >
          > The best place to read about what's happening in the Java desktop /
          > rich client space is here:
          > http://community.java.net/javadesktop
          >
          > Fellow TechHuian David Qiao (http://www.techhui.com/profile/DavidQiao)
          > has a company that makes excellent Swing components you may want to
          > checkout:
          > http://www.jidesoft.com
          >
          > I've used them on several projects.
          >
          > If you have any specific questions about Swing, SAF or JavaFX I'd be
          > happy to help.
          >
          > Dan
          > dan@...
          >
          > On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM, piikoicoder <g@...> wrote:
          >> A while ago there was a thread started by someone who invested much
          >> time in Swing and was asking about its future.
          >>
          >> Now I can's seem to find that thread.
          >>
          >> Anyone have time to help me find it again.
          >>
          >> George Berish
          >>

          > --
          > Daniel Leuck
          > President
          > Ikayzo, inc.
          > +1 (808) 539-3804 (US Direct)
          > +1 (808) 393-9119 (US Mobile)
          > +81 090.7016.6635 (Japan Mobile)
          > +1 (808) 591-1496 (Fax)
          > http://www.ikayzo.com
          > http://www.javaui.net

        • Daniel Leuck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
            Hi Shawn,

            > You also might be thinking of Seth Ladd, who wrote a book on Swing and
            > who I think mentioned that he's now dropped it altogether.

            Seth's book, which was very good, was actually on Spring not Swing.

            I often switch them in conversation. Easy mistake :-)

            Dan
          • Seth Ladd
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 24, 2008
              Heh yeah, it was Spring. And yes, I'm a rails man now.

              Although, the spring code is still the best code I've ever read.

              Hi Shawn,