Coders Meeting October 10th at Camber!!! Please Read

  • davidjburger
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
      Hey coders, the meeting tomorrow night is at 6:00 pm at Camber
      Corporation on the 14th floor of the Pioneer Plaza. That is 900 Fort
      Street Mall, Suite 1410, map here:

      http://tinyurl.com/23t3q2

      If you come after 6:00 pm you will need to get security to let you
      into the elevator - please email your name if you plan to come so that
      we can let security know that you are attending our meeting. You will
      need to present an id to security. If you don't email in time you can
      call when you get here and we can come down to get you. Call David at
      294-8430 or Kevin at 271-5125.

      Parking in the building is a mere $3.00 after 5:00 pm.

      Meeting Agenda:

      6:00pm - 7:00pm "Rapid Development with ActiveScaffold" Main talk
      by David Burger, Wenyi Zhou & Kevin English
      7:00pm - 7:15pm Pizza Break sponsored by Camber
      7:15pm - 8.00pm "Scala : Java, Erlang, and Ruby's Hot Three Way Love
      Child" by Seth Ladd
      The talk abstracts are as follows:
      Main Talk Title: "Rapid Development with ActiveScaffold"
      Main Talk Abstract:
      From ActiveScaffold.com:
      "Most web applications have many more model objects exposed on the
      backend, or admin side, than they do on the front. Coding interfaces
      for all those models is redundant and a waste of resources when all
      you need is CRUD functionality that's smart enough to handle all your
      ActiveRecord associations.
      Enter the ActiveScaffold plugin. The successor to the popular
      AjaxScaffold project that amassed over 36,000 downloads,
      ActiveScaffold provides you with a wealth of dynamically created
      goodness."
      Camber Developers have been using ActiveScaffold for some their
      administration interfaces. They'll show you how to get started and
      also share some of techniques for customizing it.
      Second Talk Title: "Scala : Java, Erlang, and Ruby's Hot Three Way
      Love Child"
      Second Talk Abstract:
      With Scala, you'll find features from Java (object-oriented, Java
      integration, similar syntax), Erlang (massive concurrency, functional
      programming) and Ruby (rapid development, more concise, closures
      support (through functions)) brought together into one language. Scala
      is an excellent introduction into functional programming, as you ease
      your way out of imperative programming. It's easy to get started, as
      Scala runs on the JVM and integrates with all existing Java libraries.
      This talk will cover the basics of Scala, give you a feel for the
      language, and explore how to implement massively concurrent systems.
      We'll also compare and contrast functional and imperative programming
      implementations.
      For more information, check out http://www.scala-lang.org/
      Seth Ladd is a Senior Software Engineer for Camber Corporation. He
      currently finds Scala the new hotness.
    • Sam Joseph
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2007
        Damn, I'll miss it. I'm back next Monday.

        Maybe we can video the talk and post on Youtube?

        CHEERS> SAM

        --
        Sam Joseph, Ph.D.
        Co-Director

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 16, 2007
            I have a love-hate relationship with ActiveScaffold after using it on
            two projects. It's great and get's you 90% of the way to a functional
            admin UI but the last 10% is more difficult than just coding it if you
            don't know AS well.

            Also don't plan on upgrading anywhere close to Rails edge/2.0 with it.

            --- In honolulu-coders@yahoogroups.com, "davidjburger"

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 16, 2007
              It's back to love today. They have preped it for Rails 2.0 in trunk. :)