Re: next HJUG

  • Sam Joseph
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2 7:58 PM
      Hi Jo,

      Something we discusseed was having discussion on the java-meetup ML on
      yahoo - to keep HJUG for announcements - so perhaps we can take this
      over there. Either way, we need to consider that Philip has work to do
      each time we post an hjug message, and perhaps some people on this list
      are expecting low traffic.

      Joseph Dane wrote:

      >[ note: I sent this message only to find that I wasn't on the HJUG
      > mailing list any more. Philip has fixed this, but it's possible
      > that I've missed some mail about another HJUG meeting. If so,
      > someone please fill me in. ]
      >
      >So, who's next, and when, and what?

      I just spoke to Phillip today and he said he's too busy to talk about
      threads in April. However I'm keen to have another meeting towards the
      end of April.

      >I thought our last HJUG gig went pretty well. Would have been nice
      >to have gotten a few more people, but it was the first meeting in a
      >while and I expect it'll take some time to gather momentum.
      >
      >So we don't completely loose that momentum, I'd like to start talking
      >about scheduling the next meeting, and looking for topics for a
      >presentation. To that end, here are a few Java things I'd love to
      >hear more about:
      >
      > * NIO
      > * web service security, authentication, and authorization
      > * xwork/webwork2
      > * Jini/Jeri
      >
      >Any takers? Any other topics people are dying to know more about?
      >
      >I've also got slides and code from a presentation I did a few years
      >ago on dynamic proxies in Java, which I can dig up and refresh if
      >there is any interest.

      That would be reasonably interesting to me. I also know that some
      people brought along pattern presentation materials last time. I will
      happily present another pattern next time if no one else is interested
      [apologies to the person who I know has a pattern to present - I have
      forgotten who you were - please let me know if you're still interested
      in presenting.]

      I think at the moment we have a conflict of interest between people who
      want to hear more about general java stuff, and those who would like to
      focus on patterns. I would be happy to see both kinds of
      presentations/workshops in a single meeting, but perhaps ultimately we
      might have two meetings - one for patterns and one for general stuff.

      CHEERS> SAM
    • Joseph Dane
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 11:47 AM
        Sam Joseph <srjoseph@...> writes:

        > Joseph Dane wrote:
        >> I've also got slides and code from a presentation I did a few years
        >> ago on dynamic proxies in Java, which I can dig up and refresh if
        >> there is any interest.

        > I think at the moment we have a conflict of interest between people who
        > want to hear more about general java stuff, and those who would like to
        > focus on patterns. I would be happy to see both kinds of
        > presentations/workshops in a single meeting, but perhaps ultimately we
        > might have two meetings - one for patterns and one for general stuff.

        That could work.

        If anyone has something they'd like to present, this seems like a
        good time to speak up. I will maintain my offer of a dynamic proxy
        presentation (which has a nice tie-in to a design pattern: Proxy) but
        am in no rush to present, so if someone has something they're exited
        about then please sound off.

        --

        joe
      • jnnsierra
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 3:56 PM
          [ moderator: can I post to this group directly from my hawaii.edu
          account? ]

          --- In honolulu-java-meetup@yahoogroups.com, Sam Joseph

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19 8:19 PM
            Hi Joseph and others,

            Well in the absence of any other suggestions I reckon we should have
            Joseph speak about proxies and I'll give a short pattern presentaiton
            afterwards.

            How does Wednesday 28th April sound?

            CHEERS> SAM

            Joseph Dane wrote:

            >Sam Joseph <srjoseph@...> writes:
            >

            >>Joseph Dane wrote:
            >>

            >>>I've also got slides and code from a presentation I did a few years
            >>>ago on dynamic proxies in Java, which I can dig up and refresh if
            >>>there is any interest.
            >>>

            >>I think at the moment we have a conflict of interest between people who
            >>want to hear more about general java stuff, and those who would like to
            >>focus on patterns. I would be happy to see both kinds of
            >>presentations/workshops in a single meeting, but perhaps ultimately we
            >>might have two meetings - one for patterns and one for general stuff.
            >>

            >That could work.
            >
            >If anyone has something they'd like to present, this seems like a
            >good time to speak up. I will maintain my offer of a dynamic proxy
            >presentation (which has a nice tie-in to a design pattern: Proxy) but
            >am in no rush to present, so if someone has something they're exited
            >about then please sound off.

          • Joseph Dane
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20 10:58 AM
              Sam Joseph <srjoseph@...> writes:

              > Hi Joseph and others,
              >
              > Well in the absence of any other suggestions I reckon we should have
              > Joseph speak about proxies and I'll give a short pattern presentaiton
              > afterwards.
              >
              > How does Wednesday 28th April sound?

              ok w/ me.

              --

              joe
            • kevinator_ca
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 20 2:53 PM
                I'll try to make it too. Weren't you guys gonna post the link to that
                blog? the one that you all found so funny.

                kevin

                --- In honolulu-java-meetup@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Dane <jdane@h...>
                wrote:
                > Sam Joseph <srjoseph@h...> writes:
                >
                > > Hi Joseph and others,
                > >
                > > Well in the absence of any other suggestions I reckon we should have
                > > Joseph speak about proxies and I'll give a short pattern presentaiton
                > > afterwards.
                > >
                > > How does Wednesday 28th April sound?
                >
                > ok w/ me.
                >
                > --
                >
                > joe
              • Joseph Dane
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 20 3:51 PM
                  kevinator_ca <kevinator_ca@...> writes:

                  > I'll try to make it too. Weren't you guys gonna post the link to that
                  > blog? the one that you all found so funny.

                  http://www.jroller.com/page/fate

                  although strictly speaking, I'm not sure that "funny" is the way I'd
                  describe it.

                  --

                  joe
                • la tompa