Programming Question for group(s)

  • Eric Meyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2004
      I am trying to write a small demo application where two programs
      exchange information and an HMAC (hmacmd5). With the Java cryptograpy
      extension, I can create a random key, and use this as the key for the
      mac. However, I would like the key to be set before the exchange takes
      place, not generated randomly. For instance, I call up the receiving
      party and say that the key is "wizard", they then put this key in the
      HMAC object, run the sent text file through it. The receiving party
      then verifies that the mac is the same using the agreed upon secret
      key.

      Obviously, secure data exchange can be done via public/private
      cryptography. I'm mainly interested in investigating how to use the
      cryptography API's, specifically how to use the MAC classes.

      Eric