Meeting Proposal for Feb 7th : Rails Data Warehouses and REST on Rails

  • Seth Ladd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Aloha,

      This is a ping to see if there'd be enough people interested in a
      Coders meeting next Wednesday, Feb 7th. We have some really
      interesting topics on deck:

      == Topic 1: Rails Data Warehousing with ActiveWarehouse

      Anthony Eden takes us on a tour of ActiveWarehouse, a plugin for Rails
      which makes it quick and easy to build a true Data Warehouse. That's
      a tall order, so come see how you can build a dimensional data model
      with Rails.

      What is a Dimensional Data Model and a Data Warehouse? Data
      warehouses are typically large unified data sets built specifically to
      answer ad hoc questions across multiple sets of attributes
      (dimensions). Data warehouses are built to support arbitrary drill
      down reporting as well, letting users see high level rollup data and
      move down to the individual event or record.

      == Topic 2: REST on Rails

      Rails 1.2 ships with RESTful support out of the box, so it's time to
      skinny up your Controllers, fatten up your Models, and build web
      applications that are more simple to build and easier to test.
      Meanwhile, your application will be a good Web citizen, flowers will
      rain from the sky, and they'll hold parades for you in the streets*.

      Learn what makes an application RESTful (hint: it's not just XML over
      HTTP!), how REST related to CRUD, and some of the new features of
      Rails 1.2 that help you build RESTful applications.

      == Where

      Being that Sam is out of town and we're not able to easily use the
      university, Camber is happy to host the meeting. Our offices are
      downtown, in Pioneer Plaza (off of Fort St Mall). Parking is $3 after
      5pm.

      I will work on a University option or a MIC option.

      == When

      6pm as usual, til about 8pm.

      == Pizza?

      Yes

      == So what now?

      If you're interested, please let us know. If there's critical mass,
      then the meeting is on! Watch this list for details and updates.

      Mahalo!

      * Floats no guaranteed.
    • J. David Beutel
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        I'd like to see this, even though I'm not using Rails. I work at UH and
        would be happy to try to arrange for the room. I might go downtown too,
        if the preference is for there. Please let me know.

        I don't know if Dan (Mr. Pizza) is back in town yet.

        Cheers,
        11011011

        "Seth Ladd" <sethladd@...> wrote on Thursday, February 01, 2007
        10:30:34:
        > Aloha,
        >
        > This is a ping to see if there'd be enough people interested in a
        > Coders meeting next Wednesday, Feb 7th. We have some really
        > interesting topics on deck:
        >
        > == Topic 1: Rails Data Warehousing with ActiveWarehouse
        >
        > Anthony Eden takes us on a tour of ActiveWarehouse, a plugin for Rails
        > which makes it quick and easy to build a true Data Warehouse. That's
        > a tall order, so come see how you can build a dimensional data model
        > with Rails.
        >
        > What is a Dimensional Data Model and a Data Warehouse? Data
        > warehouses are typically large unified data sets built specifically to
        > answer ad hoc questions across multiple sets of attributes
        > (dimensions). Data warehouses are built to support arbitrary drill
        > down reporting as well, letting users see high level rollup data and
        > move down to the individual event or record.
        >
        > == Topic 2: REST on Rails
        >
        > Rails 1.2 ships with RESTful support out of the box, so it's time to
        > skinny up your Controllers, fatten up your Models, and build web
        > applications that are more simple to build and easier to test.
        > Meanwhile, your application will be a good Web citizen, flowers will
        > rain from the sky, and they'll hold parades for you in the streets*.
        >
        > Learn what makes an application RESTful (hint: it's not just XML over
        > HTTP!), how REST related to CRUD, and some of the new features of
        > Rails 1.2 that help you build RESTful applications.
        >
        > == Where
        >
        > Being that Sam is out of town and we're not able to easily use the
        > university, Camber is happy to host the meeting. Our offices are
        > downtown, in Pioneer Plaza (off of Fort St Mall). Parking is $3 after
        > 5pm.
        >
        > I will work on a University option or a MIC option.
        >
        > == When
        >
        > 6pm as usual, til about 8pm.
        >
        > == Pizza?
        >
        > Yes
        >
        > == So what now?
        >
        > If you're interested, please let us know. If there's critical mass,
        > then the meeting is on! Watch this list for details and updates.
        >
        > Mahalo!
        >
        > * Floats no guaranteed.
        >

        > UPCOMING MEETINGS:
        > September 27th 6-8pm UH POST 302 TBA
        > October 25th 6-8pm UH POST 302 TBA
        > November 29th 6-8pm UH POST 302 Java Cryptography Extension Eric Meyer
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Seth Ladd

          "Seth Ladd" <sethladd@...> wrote on Thursday, February 01, 2007
          10:30:34:

          > Aloha,
          >
          > This is a ping to see if there'd be enough people interested in a
          > Coders meeting next Wednesday, Feb 7th. We have some really
          > interesting topics on deck:
          >
          > == Topic 1: Rails Data Warehousing with ActiveWarehouse
          >
          > Anthony Eden takes us on a tour of ActiveWarehouse, a plugin for Rails
          > which makes it quick and easy to build a true Data Warehouse. That's
          > a tall order, so come see how you can build a dimensional data model
          > with Rails.
          >
          > What is a Dimensional Data Model and a Data Warehouse? Data
          > warehouses are typically large unified data sets built specifically to
          > answer ad hoc questions across multiple sets of attributes
          > (dimensions). Data warehouses are built to support arbitrary drill
          > down reporting as well, letting users see high level rollup data and
          > move down to the individual event or record.
          >
          > == Topic 2: REST on Rails
          >
          > Rails 1.2 ships with RESTful support out of the box, so it's time to
          > skinny up your Controllers, fatten up your Models, and build web
          > applications that are more simple to build and easier to test.
          > Meanwhile, your application will be a good Web citizen, flowers will
          > rain from the sky, and they'll hold parades for you in the streets*.
          >
          > Learn what makes an application RESTful (hint: it's not just XML over
          > HTTP!), how REST related to CRUD, and some of the new features of
          > Rails 1.2 that help you build RESTful applications.
          >
          > == Where
          >
          > Being that Sam is out of town and we're not able to easily use the
          > university, Camber is happy to host the meeting. Our offices are
          > downtown, in Pioneer Plaza (off of Fort St Mall). Parking is $3 after
          > 5pm.
          >
          > I will work on a University option or a MIC option.
          >
          > == When
          >
          > 6pm as usual, til about 8pm.
          >
          > == Pizza?
          >
          > Yes
          >
          > == So what now?
          >
          > If you're interested, please let us know. If there's critical mass,
          > then the meeting is on! Watch this list for details and updates.
          >
          > Mahalo!
          >
          > * Floats no guaranteed.
          >

          > UPCOMING MEETINGS:
          > September 27th 6-8pm UH POST 302 TBA
          > October 25th 6-8pm UH POST 302 TBA
          > November 29th 6-8pm UH POST 302 Java Cryptography Extension Eric Meyer
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Thomas Olausson