HRUG Meeting Next Wed 8th March 6-8pm POST 302 - Sam Joseph on "Rails Tests Baked In"

  • Sam Joseph
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
      ****** H O N O L U L U * C O D E R S * M E E T I N G ********

      This month's Honolulu Coders meeting will take place on Wednesday 8th
      March from 6pm to 8pm.

      Check out the community web page:
      http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu/interaction/workspaces.php?workspace=5
      Join the honolulu coders community:
      http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu/home/register.php

      ********** LOCATION INFORMATION **********

      This month's meeting will be held in the POST building, room 302, at the
      University of Hawaii Manoa campus.

      http://www.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/vtour?Manoa=l=POST

      UoH parking information is here:

      http://www.hawaii.edu/parking/visitorParking.html

      7:15pm - 7:45pm Pattern Workshop - Sam Joseph introduces the Chain of
      Responsibility Pattern

      7:45pm - 8:00pm Workshop discussion

      The talk abstracts and speaker biographies are as follows:

      Main Talk Title: Rails Tests Baked In

      Main Talk Abstract:

      Some would argue that Rails is significantly better in it’s ease of use
      when it comes to unit, functional, and load testing. Even going so far
      as to say that it has everything you need to test your application baked
      right into the framework. Sam Joseph takes us through the full rails
      testing experience and shows how he has made use of automated rails
      testing as part of the discourse PHP --> RoR switchover that he is
      overseeing.

      Main Talk Biography:

      Sam Joseph has been programming in industry and academia for about 12
      years, and is still learning. Since most of his time seems to be spent
      fixing old code that has no apparently rational design strategy (both
      written by himself and others) he is keen to try improve his programming
      design skills. RubyOnRails seems to offer additional help by providing
      code so terse and well designed that you don't get caught in the
      quicksand of an overly flexible behemoth like J2EE. He seems to have
      little free time at the moment, and so is very grateful to live close to
      the beach so he can get some occasional surfing in.

      Pattern Workshop: Chain of Responsibility Pattern

      Workshop Abstract:

      Avoid coupling the sender of a request to its receiver by giving more
      than one object a chance to handle the request. Chain the receiving
      objects and pass the request along the chain until an object handles it.

      http://home.earthlink.net/~huston2/dp/chain.html
    • Thomas Olausson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hehe, that was what I was suspecting, but didn't want to say it:
        A rails make-over!

        Discourse timeline:
        1994: vi ~sam/.plan
        1996: cgi-bin/discourse.pl
        1999: discourse.asp
        2001: servlet/discourse
        2002: discourse.do
        2003: discourse.php
        2006: localhost:3000/discourse

        /Thomas

        > Sam Joseph takes us through the full rails
        > testing experience and shows how he has made use of automated rails
        > testing as part of the discourse PHP --> RoR switchover that he is
        > overseeing.
      • Seth Ladd
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
          > Discourse timeline:
          > 1994: vi ~sam/.plan
          > 1996: cgi-bin/discourse.pl
          > 1999: discourse.asp
          > 2001: servlet/discourse
          > 2002: discourse.do
          > 2003: discourse.php
          > 2006: localhost:3000/discourse

          2007: SMS your discourse to 32453
          2008: Semantic Web/Ontology Discourse
          2009: Discourse becomes Self Aware
          2010: Let me be the first to welcome our new Discourse Overlords.
          Hail Discourse!
          2011: We fight back
          2012: Use post-it notes and speaking face-to-face.

          Though, a full "History of Discourse and What we Learned" would be
          pretty interesting. Sounds like it's been through a lot of
          revisions/implementations. Got to be some good lessons in there!

          Seth