upcoming meetings?

  • Seth Ladd
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
      Aloha,

      Looking forward to this year's meetings! Is there a schedule at all?
      Has anyone volunteered or signed up for any slots?

      If we have a lull in the activity, I wouldn't mind doing a demo of
      JESS [1], the Java expert system shell. It's a rule engine, written
      in Java, and a really interesting and fun way of solving some problems
      not easily solved with procedural programming. For instance, a rule
      engine is a perfect way of handling Amazon's recommendation system or
      for a diagnosis system.

      For you LISP fans out there, it attempts to emulate CLIPS.

      In any case, looking forward to the next meeting.
      Seth

      [1] http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
    • Joseph Dane
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
        +1 on a JESS talk.

        --

        joe
      • Ralph Freese
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
          Seth,

          I would love it. (I have an abstract algebra program with no ui and I
          would love to use something like this as a quick interactive command
          interface.) I noticed that Joe's talk used JScheme for something like what
          I want.

          Ralph

          On Sun, 5 Feb 2006, Seth Ladd wrote:

          > Aloha,
          >
          > Looking forward to this year's meetings! Is there a schedule at all?
          > Has anyone volunteered or signed up for any slots?
          >
          > If we have a lull in the activity, I wouldn't mind doing a demo of
          > JESS [1], the Java expert system shell. It's a rule engine, written
          > in Java, and a really interesting and fun way of solving some problems
          > not easily solved with procedural programming. For instance, a rule
          > engine is a perfect way of handling Amazon's recommendation system or
          > for a diagnosis system.
          >
          > For you LISP fans out there, it attempts to emulate CLIPS.
          >
          > In any case, looking forward to the next meeting.
          > Seth
          >
          > [1] http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
          >

          > UPCOMING MEETINGS: January 11th, 6-8pm, UH POST, "Amazon Web Services" by Jeff Barr
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Sam Joseph
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
            Hi Seth

            Upcoming meetings are scheduled:

            http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu/interaction/workspaces.php?workspace=5¬e=426

            Kaveh has mentioned the possibility of giving a talk on some game
            software he's developed, and I'm still planning to talk about ruby
            testing at some point, but other than that we are wide open

            Your talk sounds good, so feel free to pencil yourself in the above wiki
            page.

            CHEERS> SAM

            Seth Ladd wrote:

            >Aloha,
            >
            >Looking forward to this year's meetings! Is there a schedule at all?
            >Has anyone volunteered or signed up for any slots?
            >
            >If we have a lull in the activity, I wouldn't mind doing a demo of
            >JESS [1], the Java expert system shell. It's a rule engine, written
            >in Java, and a really interesting and fun way of solving some problems
            >not easily solved with procedural programming. For instance, a rule
            >engine is a perfect way of handling Amazon's recommendation system or
            >for a diagnosis system.
            >
            >For you LISP fans out there, it attempts to emulate CLIPS.
            >
            >In any case, looking forward to the next meeting.
            >Seth
            >
            >[1] http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
            >

            >UPCOMING MEETINGS: January 11th, 6-8pm, UH POST, "Amazon Web Services" by Jeff Barr
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jeff Barr
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2006
              Seth Ladd <sethladd@...>:

              > Looking forward to this year's meetings! Is there a schedule at all?
              > Has anyone volunteered or signed up for any slots?

              I'll be happy to come back to Honolulu again in a year or so; I had a
              really good time speaking with your group and received several good
              followups. I will also be sending a copy of my presentation to Sam.

              Thanks for hosting me, and thanks for the great questions and followup.

              Jeff;

              --
              * RSS Feeds: http://www.syndic8.com
              * Blog: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
                Cool.

                Is there a way to read discourse stuff without requiring a login? At
                least for read only access.

                Maybe we can talk about Single Sign On. :)

                If not, I'm going to password protect my emails, so y'all have to
                enter a special password to read 'em. Muahaha.

                /Thomas

                On 2/6/06, Sam Joseph <srjoseph@...> wrote:
                > Hi Seth
                >
                > Upcoming meetings are scheduled:
                >
                > http://discourse.ics.hawaii.edu/interaction/workspaces.php?workspace=5¬e=426
                >
                > Kaveh has mentioned the possibility of giving a talk on some game
                > software he's developed, and I'm still planning to talk about ruby
                > testing at some point, but other than that we are wide open
                >
                > Your talk sounds good, so feel free to pencil yourself in the above wiki
                > page.
                >
                > CHEERS> SAM
                >
                > Seth Ladd wrote:
                >
                > >Aloha,
                > >
                > >Looking forward to this year's meetings! Is there a schedule at all?
                > >Has anyone volunteered or signed up for any slots?
                > >
                > >If we have a lull in the activity, I wouldn't mind doing a demo of
                > >JESS [1], the Java expert system shell. It's a rule engine, written
                > >in Java, and a really interesting and fun way of solving some problems
                > >not easily solved with procedural programming. For instance, a rule
                > >engine is a perfect way of handling Amazon's recommendation system or
                > >for a diagnosis system.
                > >
                > >For you LISP fans out there, it attempts to emulate CLIPS.
                > >
                > >In any case, looking forward to the next meeting.
                > >Seth
                > >
                > >[1] http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/jess/
                > >

                > >UPCOMING MEETINGS: January 11th, 6-8pm, UH POST, "Amazon Web Services" by Jeff Barr
                > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                > UPCOMING MEETINGS: January 11th, 6-8pm, UH POST, "Amazon Web Services" by Jeff Barr
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Sam Joseph
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2006
                  Thomas Olausson wrote:

                  >Cool.
                  >
                  >Is there a way to read discourse stuff without requiring a login? At
                  >least for read only access.

                  Not at the moment I am afraid, however we are working on a new version
                  of discourse to be released in a week or two.
                  I am the main architect of the new discourse, and I am planning to
                  include that functionality.

                  I'll mail to the list as soon as it's available.

                  CHEERS> SAM