Re: [java-meetup] Meeting tonight

  • Eraticus Majoricus
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4, 2003
      It would be nice if we could get a bit more hard core, and get more participants! Brent
      was in a similar group in Stanford whose goal was interfacing business and
      technology. Maybe we can try something similar.

      Eric

      --- In honolulu-java-meetup@yahoogroups.com, Don Brown <mrdon@t...> wrote:
      > Looks like Thomas is up first then. Look forward to seeing you all there
      > at the Brew Moon @ 7.
      >
      > Don
      >
      > On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Eraticus Majoricus wrote:
      >
      > > I am posting three files.
      > >
      > > a) xjava.c: Functions the same as "java" command tool. Loads class with
      > > default class loader, finds static main method, processes arguments into
      > > String array, and executes static main method.
      > >
      > > b) yjava.c: Same as xjava.c, except that it first creates the object passed on
      > > the command line, and executes a instance method, passing in a String array
      > > in as an the argument.
      > >
      > > c) zjava.c: More intesting! Opens an arbitary file, and reads in the chars first.
      > > Then uses the chars as the basis for a Class, defined with a custom class
      > > loader. Then main is invoked from this class, so that all classes refered to are
      > > first loaded with this arbitary class loader. The main class could have been
      > > "static" data within the C program, but in this example it is memory mapped
      > > into the programs address space from an external file, illustrating how
      > > "arbitrary" one can be with native methods.
      > >
      > > The earliest I can come tonight will be about 7:30, so start without me.

    • Don Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
        What do you mean by "hard core"? As for a theme, sounds good to me,
        although I'm a bit uncertain what "interfacing business and technology"
        would translate into. Not that I'm against it, just need clarification.

        Don

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 5, 2003
          I guess it might be fun get out of web based stuff, and work more on the nuts and
          volts. Examples of n&v might be stuff like how to write class files without java, the
          KVM, java parsers, math and graphics stuff. Prof Freese was working on a matrix
          library using java and native methods, compiled on OS X, which sounds really
          interesting. Thomas was saying that he works with IBM 360s. What's the best way to
          communicate with these beasts from a Java app?

          So far, we haven't had any of the shops check us out. I figure that at least the Sun
          vars would be interested in a group dedicated to Java if they knew about us. This
          might be a good way to make contacts in industry, or scoop some contract work.
          Also, Comp Sci and EE profs will have good contacts, and should be invited. That way
          if we are talking about something interesting and topical, it might get some good
          word of mouth, and reach someone interested who has business contacts.

          Also, the profs and grad students are going to have interesting stuff going on, which
          they will want to show off.

          So far the attendance has been OK, but it would be great if we could attract a dozen
          members, plus a couple of Profs, and VARs.

          Kecap

          PS The Brew Moon is a great location. We should definitely keep it in the rotation.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 11, 2003
            What if we did both? My primary area of interest is more in application
            programming while yours is in n&v, so why not do half and half? I'll
            cover application topics including web, rich client, and mobile devices
            and you can cover lower level topics. I'm interested in n&v as well, but
            would like to connect and discuss with other application programmers as
            well.

            As for getting other shops and professors involved, I'm all for it. I'll
            keep my eyes open for any contacts I can make.

            Also, regarding the location of the next meetup, I vote to go w/ the
            results from http://java.meetup.com Until we get more participants,
            we don't need to secure a larger meeting place.

            What do the rest of you think?

            Don