More Workshops

  • Sam Joseph
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2004
      Hi All,

      Welcome to the new semester at UH. I was thinking that we might try and
      have some more HJUG meetings - starting on Wednesday 29th perhaps?

      I've got a new book called "Refactoring to Patterns", which I think
      provides a whole new angle on patterns.

      http://www.industriallogic.com/xp/refactoring/

      Take a look at some of the online examples:

      http://www.industriallogic.com/xp/refactoring/catalog.html

      This one is a good example:

      http://www.industriallogic.com/xp/refactoring/composeMethod.html

      It's all about presenting patterns in terms of transformation of code
      from one state to another; either towards or away from patterns. I
      think it makes much more sense than the original pattern presentation
      format, and makes it much more practical to see how you can actually use
      these things to your benefit in daily programming activities.

      If anyone wants to give a talk on a particular programming topic on the
      29th then please give me an email. Either way I'll give a short
      workshop introducing "Refactoring to Patterns", and start with an
      example like the ComposeMethod. I'm hoping to do this monthly and work
      through the book till we've covered as many of the refactorings and
      patterns as we can. Maybe it'll just be me :-) but I think I'm
      beginning to see real benefits from this approach.

      CHEERS> SAM