Honda Reflex Group Carrier For Reflex

  • Tom Wright
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 15, 2011
      Tom -
      Check out VersaHaul's VH-55.  It is a single track rack that handles 500 lbs.  It is not a broad mesh type flat rack. You will need at least a Class III (500 lbs.) or IV (1,000 lbs.) hitch for the weight.  It's not cheap but is built for scooters and small M/C's.
      Good luck.  Tom in Atlanta

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 16, 2011
        We have a VersaHaul mounted on the back of our 5th wheel trailer. As fulltime RVers, our Reflex serves as our primary vehicle. I like the ease of putting our 'flex up the ramp & onto the VersaHaul's platform. However, I do not care for its single-support, hitch-mount connection. After transporting our Reflex on the VersaHaul for several thousand miles, I found I was tightening & retightening the mounting bolts ever few hundred miles. It was a drag. Finally, I redesigned their support system by adding two lengths of heavy gauge 1" square tubing at each end of the ramp. Now our scooter is supported by three points of contact.
        I'll post pics if someone makes the request.
        Mark

        --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wright <wrights02@...> wrote:

        > Tom -
        > Check out VersaHaul's VH-55.  It is a single track rack that handles 500 lbs.  It is not a broad mesh type flat rack. You will need at least a Class III (500 lbs.) or IV (1,000 lbs.) hitch for the weight.  It's not cheap but is built for scooters and small M/C's.
        > Good luck.  Tom in Atlanta

      • freddhardeng
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2011
          Tom,

          Yeah, please post the pictures of the modification you made or a link to them somewhere on the web... I'd like to see just what you've done there.

          Could you please tell us how you get the scoot up on the carrier? It seems almost mandantory that AT LEAST TWO people are needed and I'm not sure a 5 foot very tiny woman could be one of them. Just HOW do you get the Reflex up there and tied down safely?

          There is only one video of this that I've seen and one guy has a running scooter (a SMALL scooter) and uses the engine to drive it up the ramp while standing on the left side of the machine and reaching over to the twist grip. Ok, fine. Now how do you get it tied down if you're by yourself? On the other hand, how the heck would you get it untied and off the carrier if you're by yourself?

          --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "markobaldo" <msbryer@...> wrote:

          > We have a VersaHaul mounted on the back of our 5th wheel trailer. As fulltime RVers, our Reflex serves as our primary vehicle. I like the ease of putting our 'flex up the ramp & onto the VersaHaul's platform. However, I do not care for its single-support, hitch-mount connection. After transporting our Reflex on the VersaHaul for several thousand miles, I found I was tightening & retightening the mounting bolts ever few hundred miles. It was a drag. Finally, I redesigned their support system by adding two lengths of heavy gauge 1" square tubing at each end of the ramp. Now our scooter is supported by three points of contact.
          > I'll post pics if someone makes the request.
          > Mark
          >
          > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wright <wrights02@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tom -
          > > Check out VersaHaul's VH-55.  It is a single track rack that handles 500 lbs.  It is not a broad mesh type flat rack. You will need at least a Class III (500 lbs.) or IV (1,000 lbs.) hitch for the weight.  It's not cheap but is built for scooters and small M/C's.
          > > Good luck.  Tom in Atlanta

        • markobaldo
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2011
            Thanks for your interest. Sorry for the delayed response. We have guests visiting so it will be a couplathree days before I snap some photos of our scoot ramp. Thanks for your understanding.
            Mark

            --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "freddhardeng" <imtlog@...> wrote:

            > Tom,
            >
            > Yeah, please post the pictures of the modification you made or a link to them somewhere on the web... I'd like to see just what you've done there.
            >
            > Could you please tell us how you get the scoot up on the carrier? It seems almost mandantory that AT LEAST TWO people are needed and I'm not sure a 5 foot very tiny woman could be one of them. Just HOW do you get the Reflex up there and tied down safely?
            >
            > There is only one video of this that I've seen and one guy has a running scooter (a SMALL scooter) and uses the engine to drive it up the ramp while standing on the left side of the machine and reaching over to the twist grip. Ok, fine. Now how do you get it tied down if you're by yourself? On the other hand, how the heck would you get it untied and off the carrier if you're by yourself?
            >
            > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, "markobaldo" <msbryer@> wrote:
            > >
            > > We have a VersaHaul mounted on the back of our 5th wheel trailer. As fulltime RVers, our Reflex serves as our primary vehicle. I like the ease of putting our 'flex up the ramp & onto the VersaHaul's platform. However, I do not care for its single-support, hitch-mount connection. After transporting our Reflex on the VersaHaul for several thousand miles, I found I was tightening & retightening the mounting bolts ever few hundred miles. It was a drag. Finally, I redesigned their support system by adding two lengths of heavy gauge 1" square tubing at each end of the ramp. Now our scooter is supported by three points of contact.
            > > I'll post pics if someone makes the request.
            > > Mark
            > >
            > > --- In hondareflexowners@yahoogroups.com, Tom Wright <wrights02@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Tom -
            > > > Check out VersaHaul's VH-55.  It is a single track rack that handles 500 lbs.  It is not a broad mesh type flat rack. You will need at least a Class III (500 lbs.) or IV (1,000 lbs.) hitch for the weight.  It's not cheap but is built for scooters and small M/C's.
            > > > Good luck.  Tom in Atlanta

          • Tom Fair
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2011
              I hope to see the pictures posted when you have the time.
              Thanks....Tom

            • markobaldo
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 21, 2011
                Here's the photos of the mods I made to the Versahaul
                http://rides.webshots.com/album/580369194YFuFjB

                With the engine running, I walk beside(on throttle side) adding just enough throttle to walk up the ramp while GENTLY applying a little brake to more accurately control the speed of accent. Once the scooter reaches the tire stop, I set the parking brake & shut the engine.
                I have done this alone but it is much easier to have a second person balance Scoot while I secure the tie-downs.
                Mark
                Note: for clarity, the images do not have the adjustable tie-down bars inserted in their holding tube.