Homily for the fifth Sunday of Easter - 05-10-09

  • daniel.meynen
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2009
      Praise the Lord! Christ is risen!
      Here is my homily for this coming Sunday, fifth Sunday of Easter.
      " As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the
      vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are
      the branches. "
      May God bless you!
      Canon Dr. Daniel Meynen

      http://meynen.homily-service.net/

      *************

      Homily for the fifth Sunday of Easter - Year B - Jn. 15:1-8

      " «I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of
      mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does
      bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made
      clean by the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in
      you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the
      vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are
      the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears
      much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If a man does not
      abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch and withers; and the branches
      are gathered, thrown into the fire and burned. If you abide in me, and
      my words abide in you, ask whatever you will, and it shall be done for
      you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit, and so
      prove to be my disciples.» "

      Homily:

      " «I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of
      mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does
      bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made
      clean by the word which I have spoken to you.» "

      The Lord Jesus speaks to us today of his Father and of his activity in
      the world. That is his mission among us: to reveal to us who the
      Father is, to tell us what he does and what he intends to do in
      response to our actions. The Lord Jesus wants to warn us, he wants to
      make us understand that although his Father watches over us as the
      Father of us all, as he who is infinitely good and infinitely kind, he
      is also the one who judges us with equity, for our good and for our
      benefit in eternal life. The Father takes away the branch that bears
      no fruit, and he prunes the branch that bears fruit in order for it to
      bear even more.

      " «You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you.» "

      The word of God, that which Christ addresses to us daily through his
      Church, is the mysterious means by which the Father gives us his grace,
      not only so that we might bear fruit, fruit for everlasting life, but
      also so that we might be pruned, that is, purified of all our faults
      and defects, above all those which are the most habitual. The grace of
      God allows us to grow and restores in us the creation that fell through
      original sin: through the almighty grace of God, we are brought into
      closer conformity with the image of God that has been in us since the
      creation but which had been corrupted by original sin. This is the
      entire work of the Father of mercy, the work of he who has created
      everything in his Word, which is his Son Jesus.

      " «Abide in me, and I in you.» "

      The Lord Jesus invites us to abide in him, and he will do so again
      several times during his discourse. This shows us how important it is
      to do so. Indeed, if we pay close attention to all these words of the
      Lord, we will soon note that Jesus insists on precisely this point:
      the Lord will not abide in us unless we first abide in him. He
      says: "As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in
      the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me." Jesus speaks in a
      particular order: first he expresses the fact that the Church must
      abide in him, and then he speaks of the fact that he himself is called
      to abide in the Church. The first is the condition of the second.

      " «I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in
      him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do
      nothing. If a man does not abide in me, he is cast forth as a branch
      and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire and
      burned.» "

      This is a good comparison, one that is closely related to reality! For
      the fruit of the vine is the grape, the fruit that is used in making
      wine. Now, what we are about to witness is precisely the consecration
      of wine into the Blood of Christ, and we shall hear these words of the
      Lord: "This is the cup of my Blood!" It is this Blood which had been
      shed and poured out for the forgiveness of our sins and in order to
      open to us the door of Heaven! It is thanks to this Blood that we can
      receive the strength necessary to escape the fire destined to punish
      all those who will have refused to abide in the Lord. Without a doubt,
      the vine is a beautiful and magnificent symbol: that of the love and
      mercy of God towards all men!

      " «If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you will,
      and it shall be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you
      bear much fruit, and so prove to be my disciples.» "

      The Lord Jesus teaches us what we must do to abide in him. His words
      must abide in us, we must meditate deeply upon them, in order that we
      might be one with them. For it is then that the Word of God itself
      will come into us in order to abide and rest in our soul. So, if the
      Word of God abides in us, if we are children of God in Christ, then we
      can glorify the Father, our Father, he who created us in his Son, and
      who does not cease recreating us in Him, the Christ, the Lord of all
      the universe! So let us prepare ourselves for today's communion: let
      us ask the Most Blessed Virgin Mary to receive for us and with us this
      great sacrament, which will powerfully help us to abide forever in God!