Re: mini mill arbor

  • Ed Paradis
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
      John, if it was just in the printed ad, then it's probably just a
      misprint. Every Mini that I've seen at any Homier show was
      definitely R8. They were perhaps confusalated about which mill has
      which...

      Ed
      "Expiring minds want to know!"

      --- In homiershoptools@yahoogroups.com, Johnk <mellowcellojohn@s...>
      wrote:

      > It's been some time since anybody posted. I thought I would stir
      the
      > pot. I received a Homier flier at a recent show that stated the
      mini
      > mill had a MT3 arbor. I didn't notice this until I came home. I
      > couldn't confirm this as there was no mini mill on the floor. My
      mini
      > mill which I bought about 3 months ago is definitely R8. Anybody
      > notice this?
      >
      > John
    • bkfan2001
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
        Doesn't the bigger (ie. $599) mill use the MT3 while all the others
        use the R8??

        Best Regards
        BK

        wrote:

        > It's been some time since anybody posted. I thought I would stir
        the
        > pot. I received a Homier flier at a recent show that stated the
        mini
        > mill had a MT3 arbor. I didn't notice this until I came home. I
        > couldn't confirm this as there was no mini mill on the floor. My
        mini
        > mill which I bought about 3 months ago is definitely R8. Anybody
        > notice this?
        >
        > John
      • Trick
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
          My big homier mill is MT3. I bought it last Dec. It's red. The mini's at
          that time were all r-8. Maybe newer ones are different? I think the "micro"
          mills like HF & griz sell are mt2.

        • dswr@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
            Go to Homier.com and search for mini-mill. The model #03947. It has a
            R-8 taper spindle. This mill is smaller then the larger mill, but has
            the advantage of a Dovetail Z axis way. This keeps the tool in register
            (alignment) when raising and lowering the spindle the full vert.
            movement (8.5").

            Look at the #03988 mill (larger). It has a MT3 spindle. This is a much
            larger capacity (unfortunately the web catalog does not specify the
            table size or movements) mill, but it is a Mill-Drill. The difference,
            besides size, is it has a round column, instead of dovetail way. This
            limits the Z axis movement to 5" while maintaining register. (this type
            of machine is more prevalent, and various methods can be used to get
            around this limitation)

            The R-8 spindle has the advantage of being self-releasing, as opposed to
            the Morse taper, which is self-holding. However both do the job equally
            well.

            The Mill-drill makes a much better drill press. The spindle has a spring
            loaded quill. (just like most drill presses)

            The Mini-mill is a poor substitute for a drill press, lacking a spring
            loaded quill.

            All of the above is just my opinion (and stand to be corrected), it is
            based on my experience with a Grizzly mini mill (mt3 spindle) and Sears
            drill press. Another feature of the Mini-mill is the spindle speed
            variable down to 0 rpm.

            Leo (pearland, tx)
          • Markwayne
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2004
              IIRC Grizzly's Seig minimill used to be MT3 a year or two back

              Mark