Cascading Multiplexers?

  • jownzie
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hi, I have about 100 individual signal wires I need to sample with an
      A/D convetor for storage in a microcomputers' memory. I was thinking
      of cascading 5 or so 16 input multiplexers but I was just wondering
      if there is another way to do this. Also, the signal going through
      the multiplexer is going to be sinusoidal. Ideally I would like to
      have the signal oscillating about ground. Can the multiplexer handle
      this? Can the multiplexer handle a signal that is sinusoidal without
      distorting the signal too much? The signal frequency is going to be
      38Khz. Thanks.
    • nilesh kumar
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
        one thing i cannot give u the i.c.'s chip number
        but onething is dure that multiplexer is designed for
        operation in digital data so it can handle other
        signals also.
        and the best way to assemble these lines will also
        be through multiplxers.

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • -------------------
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
          Using a CMOS IC such as the 4067 (16 channel multiplexer) all
          voltages going through the IC are referenced to VSS. The supply
          voltage can be as high as 18VDC. According to the data sheets I have
          you shouldn't have any problem with a sine wave at 38kHz. You can
          place your ground at midpoint between VSS and VDD (use a split power
          supply). Output to op-amps to help maintain signal strength. Just be
          sure that your inputs never exceed the voltage range of the IC or
          you'll have problems. Use an 8-channel data selector 4512 CMOS IC to
          select which multiplexer you use. Using this IC ensures that each
          muliplexer gets either a '1' or a '0' on the inhibit pin. Wire both
          the Inhibit and the Disable pins of the 4512 to ground.

          Regards
          xxxtoytech

          --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "jownzie" <smjones1969@s...>
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
            One thing I forgot to mention, if you use the 4512 to select the 4067
            you'll need to invert the output signals from the 4512 (also you
            should connect the input pin (pin #14) to the supply voltage.

            Regards
            xxxtoytech