Re: [Electronica] Led overdriving question

  • dangermouse
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004
      I don't know the answer to your question, but I thought I'd throw this out
      for your consideration.

      You can get much of the brightness benefit of overdriving without reducing
      the LED's life by driving it with a pulse train at a duty cycle proportional
      to the degree of overdrive. E.g., if the device is rated for 20mA, then
      drive it at 100mA with a 20% duty cycle. That's pretty easy to do with a
      555 and a handful of other parts.

      You get a greater perceived brightness than normal (this has something to do
      with psycho-optics that I don't understand) and there's no danger to the
      device. And as an added bonus, it's easy to adjust its brightness by
      varying the duty cycle.

      I too would be very interested in some real data regarding what you are
      asking.

      -DM