Linear actuator control?

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2003
      Hi,
      I would like to make an automatic (based on a timer/photosensor?)
      door opener for a poultry house. I have thought of using a surplus
      linear actuator (115VAC, 15 in. travel),or another thought was a low
      rpm motor with a pulley setup. In either case I don't know how to
      hook up a switch (cherry switch?) to stop the motor (after it raises
      the door) so that later (sunset) a timer will again turn it on in the
      reverse to lower (close) the door. Kinda like a garage door opener
      for chickens! Maybe I can use an old garage door opener???
      Thanks!
      Tim Q
    • Chris AKA Junkman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2003
        There are a number of ways to do what you want... It's basically a
        question of 'stop limit switches'. The easiest, and probably
        cheapest, most robust way to get most everything you need for your
        project is at your nearest junkyard. Think: Electric windows. Most of
        the engineering has already beed done for you... No need to re-invent
        the light bulb. Just replace the glass of the window with
        your 'door', insert your sensor or timer in place of the manual
        switch, and bingo, your in business. Another plus here is, these are
        DC motors, and already geared for two direction operation, all you
        need to supply is some 12VDC current, which is safer to have in such
        an enviroment anyway. Moisture and such won't pose an electrocution
        hazard. Anyone else think of a simpler way?
        Junkman