Stereo Tube Amplifier

  • MultiMedia SRL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2002

      Stereo Tube Amplifier

      By Weslee Kinsler

      The circuit is simple, yet is capable of excellent performance. I designed it specifically for use as an amplifier for the digital sound card in my computer. Audio input can be from any two-channel line level device such as a television, CD player, or VCR. It is of the tube type, using only 5 tubes total with no more than about 45 Watts power consumption from the outlet. It uses 3 types of tube 1 5Y3 GT vacuum rectifier, 2 6SF5 GT high-mu triodes, and 2 6K6 power beam amplifiers. These are all full-size octal type tubes which are commonly available today for between $3-5 each.

      Schematic

      Schematic for tube amp

      Parts:

      Part
      Total Qty.
      Description
      Substitutions
      R1, R10, R1362.2Meg Pot
      R22470K 1/2W Resistor
      R321 Meg 1/2W Resistor
      R42220K 1/2W Resistor
      R52330 Ohm 2W Resistor
      R62220K 1/2W Resistor
      R722.2Meg 1/2W Resistor
      R821Meg 1/2W Resistor
      R91720 Ohm 20W Resistor
      R11233K 1/2W Resistor
      R12222K 1/2W Resistor
      C1, C940.005uF 400V Capacitor
      C220.05uF 600V Capacitor
      C3220uF 25V Electrolytic Capacitor
      C420.01uF 400V Capacitor
      C52200uuF 400V Ceramic Disc Capacitor
      C6, C7215uF 450V Capacitor
      C8215uF 400V Capacitor
      T11117V Primary, 350VCT Secondary, 6.3V Secondary, 6.3V Secondary
      T227600 Ohm Primary, 4 or 8 Ohm Secondary
      SW11SPST Switch
      SP1, SP2212" or smaller, 4 or 8 ohm speakers
      MISC15 tube sockets, 2 RCA jacks, PC board or chassis, wire, knobs, etc.

      Notes:

      1. Email Weslee Kinsler with questions, comments, etc.

      2. The 6V6 GT tube may be substituted for the 6K6 to lower power requirements.

      3. C8 is for radio interference suppression and may be omitted.

      4. The 5Y3 GT tube should be mounted in a vertical position and be well ventilated. The 6K6 and 6SF5 tubes can be mounted in any position.

      5. Controls should have an audio taper.

      6. The power supply portion of this unit may be used for anything requiring 290-320v DC up to about 3 amps.