Re: [Electronica] Some quesions...

  • jackemery@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2002
      Please Check out Your Local Library. Plenty of Beginner Projects, Books, Familarity with components, That WORK..I use the library all my life & am 62. MCM electronics in Ohio has a catalog of 95% parts I & You can use to Fix TVS, VCRS, Microwave ovens...even project parts & Kits...Start a Notebook & Keep info as You Grow. Even Radio Shack has some kits & Parts. MCM parts are low cost, fast delivery. Library has support on All Your Electronic Needs...& ITS FREE...Jack Emery Enjoy
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 26, 2002
        At 07:57 AM 26/11/02 -0500, you wrote:

        >I have some questions for you, and I'm a very beginner in electronics, so
        >please forgive me for the dumb questions:
        >- When you want to build a circuit, and you got a list of components. Where
        >do you order them from? (Coudl you recommend an internet store?)

        If you are in USA, try Mouser or Digikey.

        >- For transistors: how do you know what type of transistor you need, and
        >available. And, is there a chart that explains about all the transistors?
        >(There are some numbers on them.)

        simply searching for the chip or transistor on google will usually find
        some data.

        >- For ICs: Same question. Is there a book or chart available on the
        >internet to look up, that shows logic gates inside of a chip?

        What you need are the catalogs from Digikey, Mouser, Jameco etc.
        In fact every catalog you can get.

        paul perry (Frostwave analog fx manufacturer MelbourneAustralia)
      • Keith
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 27, 2002
          Hi Jack,

          Thanks for your reply. I do have basic electronics books and project
          books, and have read them. I'm a novice, but have built many simple
          kits also when I was little.

          Anyway, I guess I wasn't clear on my questions. I apologize. :-) My
          question is, let say, I need some logic gates. How do you go out and
          find such ICs that meets my needs? I thought there are books on ICs
          and transitors, containing all the information on them: part numbers,
          gates in them, voltage requirements, PNP/NPN types, etc.

          For example, I have a simple circuit I came up with and I know what
          resistance I need. Then I will order certain resistance with the
          value. (And the color coding tells what value it is.) But, for
          transistor or IC, if I have some requirements, then I need to know
          what transistors and ICs out there that suits my needs and purchase.
          That's my question.

          Building pre-designed kits is simple; schematic or circuit and all the
          components are in one box. But, I'd like to be in the level that I
          can design my own -- althought simple -- circuits. (Seems extremely
          difficult so far...)

          Thanks again, and also thanks to everyone who also replied. ;-D

          Happy thanksgiving!

          -KK

          --- In home_electronics@y..., jackemery@c... wrote:
          > Please Check out Your Local Library. Plenty of Beginner Projects,
          Books, Familarity with components, That WORK..I use the library all my
          life & am 62. MCM electronics in Ohio has a catalog of 95% parts I &
          You can use to Fix TVS, VCRS, Microwave ovens...even project parts &
          Kits...Start a Notebook & Keep info as You Grow. Even Radio Shack has
          some kits & Parts. MCM parts are low cost, fast delivery. Library has
          support on All Your Electronic Needs...& ITS FREE...Jack Emery Enjoy

          Service.
        • kvasilak
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
            Step 1. Get catalogs
            Step 2. read catalogs, note part availability
            Step 3. Use available parts to build something

            There are books from manufacturers that detail every part they have
            ever made but that doesn't mean you can get them. Since you can only
            use parts you can get, look in catalogs, Digikey etc. and use what is
            in them.

          • jackemery@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
              Need Parts for Your Ideas, Projectst? Look at Competition, Whats out there. Circuits, Schematics of similar project You Want to Do. Copy the Leader (They've Done ALL Your WORK For You.) (Many Have Tried Several Components, IC'S etc to get a Working, Winning Project). Modify the Leader & You Have Become the Only Choice with a Winning Project) Thats What School & Learning is All about.See When You Start as above than You can Continue with Your Designs & Modifications Much Easier..They Have Already Done Your Research & Development. I Use ECG semiconductor Guide to search & Compare ICS etc. Mant times You cannot improve but have a winning circuit or project. Use it & Make Money with it. Time for Yourself & Others Will be A Reward. Jackemery@...
              Thanks for your reply.  I do have basic electronics books and project
              books, and have read them.  I'm a novice, but have built many simple
              kits also when I was little.

              Anyway, I guess I wasn't clear on my questions.  I apologize.  :-)  My
              question is, let say, I need some logic gates.  How do you go out and
              find such ICs that meets my needs?  I thought there are books on ICs
              and transitors, containing all the information on them: part numbers,
              gates in them, voltage requirements, PNP/NPN types, etc.

              For example, I have a simple circuit I came up with and I know what
              resistance I need.  Then I will order certain resistance with the
              value.  (And the color coding tells what value it is.)  But, for
              transistor or IC, if I have some requirements, then I need to know
              what transistors and ICs out there that suits my needs and purchase.
              That's my question.

              Building pre-designed kits is simple; schematic or circuit and all the
              components are in one box.  But, I'd like to be in the level that I
              can design my own -- althought simple -- circuits.  (Seems extremely
              difficult so far...)

              Thanks again, and also thanks to everyone who also replied. ;-D

              Happy thanksgiving!

              -KK

              --- In home_electronics@y..., jackemery@c... wrote:
              > Please Check out Your Local Library. Plenty of Beginner Projects,
              Books, Familarity with components, That WORK..I use the library all my
              life & am 62. MCM electronics in Ohio has a catalog of 95% parts I &
              You can use to Fix TVS, VCRS, Microwave ovens...even project parts &
              Kits...Start a Notebook & Keep info as You Grow. Even Radio Shack has
              some kits & Parts. MCM parts are low cost, fast delivery. Library has
              support on All Your Electronic Needs...& ITS FREE...Jack Emery Enjoy

            • Chris AKA Junkman
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
                I think what you are wanting would be called a cross refference. The
                major manufacturers all publish all data on every part they make, as
                mentioned earlier, SKS is one major one. You usually will NOT find
                these at a local libuary, you have to track them down. Contact the
                companies directly. Expect to pay for the data books. The data is
                often available now-a-days on CD ROM. RCA, Motorola, and all the 'big
                guys' all publish this data, but it's rather technical reading...
                They don't hold you by the hand. As mentioned by others, you can
                compile similiar info yourself by aquiring many catalogues. I don't
                know about now, but it used to be that the SKS cross refference was
                sort of the 'bible', and was about as thick as a phonebook for a fair
                sized city. MCM, Digikey, and others mentioned all have fairly
                comprehensive catalouges. Some even sell the SKS and other cross
                refference books. Hope this helps.
                Junkman