Power Supply

  • MultiMedia SRL
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 13, 2002

      Power Supply

      When working with electronics, you always need one basic thing; power. This power supply is great for powering all kinds of electronic projects. It produces a well filtered, variable 1.2-30 volts at 5 amps. It is easy to build and the parts are realitively easy to find.

      Schematic

      This is a schematic of the Power Supply

      Parts:

      Part
      Total Qty.
      Description
      Substitutions
      C1114000uF or 10000uf 40 VDC Electrolytic Capacitor
      C21100uF 50Vdc Electrolytic Capacitor
      C310.1uF Disc Capacitor
      C410.01uF Disc Capacitor
      R115K Pot
      R21240 Ohm 1/4 W Resistor
      U11LM338K 1.2 to 30 Volt 5 Amp Regulator
      BR1110 Amp 50 PIV Bridge Rectifier
      T1124 V 5 Amp Transformer
      S11SPST Toggle Switch
      MISC1Wire, Line Cord, Case, Binding Posts (for output)

      Notes:

      1. The regulator comes in a TO-3 case and MUST be used with a LARGE heatsink. You may want to mount a small fan to blow air across the regulator (I did).

      2. The filter capacitor is large. It won't fit on any board so bolt it to the case.

      3. You can, of course, add a volt and amp meter.

      4. Since this project operates from 120 VAC, you must include a fuse and build the project in a case.

    • larry mendoza
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2003
        Can anyone provide me an AC to AC power supply
        circuit, Input 220Vac and 110Vac output not using
        transformer.

        Rgds,
        Larry

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Chris AKA Junkman
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2003
          Well, you could use a light bulb, if you can find one of the right
          rating. (Wattage/voltage) This is a really cheap dropping resistor.
          Won't alter the waveform of the ac... Crude as heck, I know. Also,
          simple, easy, cheap. And really wasteful of power, and limited to how
          much power you can pull through it. Without knowing your
          requirements, it's hard to say what would work best. There are
          semiconductor based way to do this. More efficent, costly,
          complicated to build. Regular voltage regulators for this aren't
          really an option, I'm afraid... Not at these voltage levels, and AC
          too. You could use some sort of triac based circut. Use the incoming
          waveform to trigger it so that the output is the same waveform and
          frequency. I would think you could find a circut for this in most
          good hobbist circut 'cookbooks'. Unfortunately, I lost all my books
          to a water leak. So I can't just look one up for you. I'll bet
          someone else on the list can, however.
          Short of those two ideas, I'm out of ideas at the moment. Can you
          provide more details? Like, why the need for no transformer? (Weight,
          cost, size, availablity, Etc?)
          Would a 'chopper' work? That is, use diodes to convert AC to DC,
          then 'regulate' the DC down, and use a 'chopper' to approximate AC?
          Or does the waveform have to be a true sine wave? What is the use for
          which this circut is needed? More details would help in getting an
          answer.
          Best of luck to you.
          Junkman

          --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, larry mendoza
          <larmendoza@y...> wrote:
          > Can anyone provide me an AC to AC power supply
          > circuit, Input 220Vac and 110Vac output not using
          > transformer.
          >
          > Rgds,
          > Larry

          > http://search.yahoo.com
        • larry mendoza
          Message 4 of 6 , May 8, 2003
            I want to have a power supply not using transformer
            input 220Vac output 110Vac, I use this to an TV,VHS,
            VCD and DVD player which only have 110Vac input,
            unlike
            in my country standard using 220Vac.
            Hope someone can provide me this power supply.

            Regards,
            Larry M.

            --- Chris AKA Junkman <therealjunkman@...>

            http://search.yahoo.com
          • Jack Emery
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2003
              Suggestion use for safety isolation transformers...6 or 12v stepdown transformers  at amps needed...one pir 220v, second pri 120v.. Works well cheap and safe..Just a Jack http://www.avrelectronics.com

              wrote:
              > Well, you could use a light bulb, if you can find
              > one of the right
              > rating. (Wattage/voltage) This is a really cheap
              > dropping resistor.
              > Won't alter the waveform of the ac... Crude as heck,
              > I know. Also,
              > simple, easy, cheap. And really wasteful of power,
              > and limited to how
              > much power you can pull through it. Without knowing
              > your
              > requirements, it's hard to say what would work best.
              > There are
              > semiconductor based way to do this. More efficent,
              > costly,
              > complicated to build. Regular voltage regulators for
              > this aren't
              > really an option, I'm afraid... Not at these voltage
              > levels, and AC
              > too. You could use some sort of triac based circut.
              > Use the incoming
              > waveform to trigger it so that the output is the
              > same waveform and
              > frequency. I would think you could find a circut for
              > this in most
              > good hobbist circut 'cookbooks'. Unfortunately, I
              > lost all my books
              > to a water leak. So I can't just look one up for
              > you. I'll bet
              > someone else on the list can, however.
              > Short of those two ideas, I'm out of ideas at the
              > moment. Can you
              > provide more details? Like, why the need for no
              > transformer? (Weight,
              > cost, size, availablity, Etc?)
              > Would a 'chopper' work? That is, use diodes to
              > convert AC to DC,
              > then 'regulate' the DC down, and use a 'chopper' to
              > approximate AC?
              > Or does the waveform have to be a true sine wave?
              > What is the use for
              > which this circut is needed? More details would help
              > in getting an
              > answer.
              > Best of luck to you.
              > Junkman
              >
              > --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, larry
              > mendoza
              > <larmendoza@y...> wrote:
              > > Can anyone provide me an AC to AC power supply
              > > circuit, Input 220Vac and 110Vac output not using
              > > transformer.
              > >
              > > Rgds,
              > > Larry

              > > http://search.yahoo.com

            • Chris AKA Junkman
              Message 6 of 6 , May 8, 2003
                Just a Jack is 100% right, of course. If there is ANY possibility of
                coming into contact with any part of such a circut as I mentioned,
                you could be very seriously killed. The light bulb trick is an OLD
                one... Not a very SAFE one. I only mentioned it because the orginal
                poster asked specifically about NOT having to use transformers. (I
                never did learn the reason why transformers were out of the question
                for him)
                I do not wish to see anyone get hurt, and advocate using all
                precautions at all times. Even though I personaly have been known to
                violate this, that was my choice. I knew better when I did so. I
                would hate to have anyone get hurt on use of my advice or discussion
                because I failed to mention safety. I am NOT a trained teacher, and
                never claimed to be one, just a tinkerer. I make a bad habit
                sometimes of assuming that someone who has enough knowlege to ask a
                certian sort of question must have some knowlege of same... A wrong
                and dangerous assumption, I know. I appologise to all. Although I
                attempt to be through and as complete as possible when I post, I can
                not possibly know everyone's skill levels or safety training. (If
                any) I can forget, as in this case, to mention some safety measure.
                When in doubt, ASK FIRST! Or just don't do it. And always keep one
                hand in your pocket when around any high voltages. (No, that's NOT a
                joke)
                The transformer to transformer setup Just a Jack mentioned is always
                a good idea, and a lot cheaper than a 'real' isolation transformer.
                Every test bench should be set up with isolation, even if it will not
                be needed in the final product. It's a lot cheaper than a funeral.

                Again, my appologies to all, and my thanks to Just a Jack for
                catching my lapse of memory. (In my defense, I do have MS, and some
                memory problems as a result. That's no excuse, just an explaination.)
                Sincerely:
                Chris Mills
                aka Junkman

                --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, Jack Emery <jackemery@c...>