Re: [Electronica] New to Group

  • Dangermouse
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2002
      It is common, but there are always exceptions (although very few in the case of the electrolytics).  You can usually tell by the format in which the values are printed.  If no unit is specified, and you see a capacitor with a value such as "173," this usually indicates 1 and 7 as the two significant digits, followed by 3 zeroes, the result being in pf.  Otherwise, look for a unit to be specified somewhere on the device.

      -DM
      Message 2 of 2 , May 4, 2002
        Mica Capacitors Hi again,

        Another capacitor question: can I substitute a mica cap for a ceramic cap of the same value? Are there any differences there? One schematic I have says to use 470 pF mica capacitors (actually a bunch of them at different ratings). I have lots of disc caps, can I use them?

        JT