Flyback inverter

  • Nicolae Sfetcu
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2001

      http://www.crosswinds.net/~staticwire/start.html

      Flyback inverter

      FLYBACK INVERTER

      PARTS
      C1: 1000uF
      C2: 0.1uF
      C3: 0.1uF
      R1: 1K
      R2: 10K
      R3: 1k
      IC1: 555 Timer IC
      T1: MJE 340
      D1: 1N4004 or similar
      L1: 10mH

      EXPLANATION

      This circuit works by collapsing a magnetic field in a small coil to induce high voltage spikes. The spikes are then fed through a diode to the output. The output cannot sustain anymore than 300V since this is the highest voltage the transistor will handle across the collector and emitter.
      I have not yet worked out the most efficient on-time for the coil so you are welcome to experiment with R1, R2 and C1.

      APPLICATIONS

      This circuit is ideal for strobe light applications.

      TESTS

      I have not yet performed any tests since i am still experimenting with different value parts.
      I can say that i got it to run at about 500mA and it charged a 10uF capacitor fast enough to strike a flash tube several times a second.