Re: [Electronica] Radiation Dosage Rate Detector -need to find 2 parts

  • Paul Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
      I typed
      OP05 replacement
      into Google & that immediately gave me
      www.analog.com/en/prodDesc/0,2895,OP07%255F0,00.html
      whihc informs me that OP07 is a direct replacement.
      www.jameco.com has these in DIP for 61 cents each.

      I guess you are talking to secretaries or sales droids.
      If you are trying to resurrect (or clone) gear from yesteryear, you will
      likely
      need to do a bit of sleuthing first.

      The 1N3191 will be the showstopper.
      Are you sure you have the right number there?
      Because I find references to it as a Silicon power rectifier...

      Here's a good thread on DIY semiconductor radiation detectors:
      http://www.electronics-forum.info/design/Semiconductor_Geiger_counter_408205.html

      Note that unless the 1N3191 was specifically designed as a radiation
      detector, then devices
      which are "electronically equivalent" may not have the same response to
      radiation, depending
      on case material and geometry.
      That's about all I can suggest, I'm a political scientist by training, not a
      nuclear (or electronic!)
      engineer. Good luck!

      paul perry Melbourne Australia
    • John Martello
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
        Funny, the information I have on the OP07 from TechAmerica (and no
        longer on line) doesn't describe it at all like the OP05... The
        1N3191 was the number given by the person who designed the circuit
        and he can't be reached so I have to take his word for it. I assume
        its a low signal detector and I'm sure silicon won't cut it..

        --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...>
        wrote:

        > I typed
        > OP05 replacement
        > into Google & that immediately gave me
        > www.analog.com/en/prodDesc/0,2895,OP07%255F0,00.html
        > whihc informs me that OP07 is a direct replacement.
        > www.jameco.com has these in DIP for 61 cents each.
        >
        > I guess you are talking to secretaries or sales droids.
        > If you are trying to resurrect (or clone) gear from yesteryear, you
        will
        > likely
        > need to do a bit of sleuthing first.
        >
        > The 1N3191 will be the showstopper.
        > Are you sure you have the right number there?
        > Because I find references to it as a Silicon power rectifier...
        >
        > Here's a good thread on DIY semiconductor radiation detectors:
        > http://www.electronics-
        forum.info/design/Semiconductor_Geiger_counter_408205.html

        > Note that unless the 1N3191 was specifically designed as a radiation
        > detector, then devices
        > which are "electronically equivalent" may not have the same
        response to
        > radiation, depending
        > on case material and geometry.
        > That's about all I can suggest, I'm a political scientist by
        training, not a
        > nuclear (or electronic!)
        > engineer. Good luck!
        >
        > paul perry Melbourne Australia

      • Chris AKA Junkman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 18, 2006
          Dear Paul:
          Not quite as dead as you might assume judging from postings... I'll
          wager many, like myself, 'sit in the background', just watching,
          feeling they have nothing to add to the (then) current thread. I know
          that when it's something over my head, I don't have anything to
          contribute, so I stay out of it. But I'm still checking in from time
          to time, just to see who's talking about what. Also, up here in the
          North American part of the world, it's summertime. Many folks off
          doing outside stuff rather than indoor hobbies. (More a winter thing)
          But, yea, it HAS been a bit slow lately. Pitty, too. Being disabled, I
          don't DO a lot of outdoor stuff, anytime of year.
          Best of all to you, and Happy Father's day. (At least, here it is)
          Junkman

          --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...> wrote:

          > www.sphere.bc.ca/test/power-parts.html
          >
          > Get them there for a buck each, it seems.
          > The op amp isn't critical, you will be able to get a
          > (better) substitute.
          >
          > BTW this seems a very dead group.
          >
          > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

        • Bob Hyland-PMP
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2006
            --- "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...> wrote:

            *snip*

            > BTW this seems a very dead group.
            >
            > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

            I agree. I find better information and more active involvement with
            the Electronics_101 group:

            That is a fairly active group, with some very knowledgable people
            (plus, some others like me that are not quite as knowledgable).
            Several members are retired engineers that spent years getting paid to
            do the stuff.

            Bob H.