Re: [Electronica] Radiation Dosage Rate Detector -need to find 2 parts

  • John Martello
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
      That site never heard of the OP05 instrumentation OPAMP nor has many
      of the suppliers I talked to like Newark.
      The origianl parts had the following id:
      Diode: 1N3191 small signal detector Germanium
      IC1:3521L (assumed instrumentation opamp)
      IC2:3292 (assumed can be replaced with 741?)
      I can't find these anywhere either. Anyone have an clue to what
      components I can use to substitute for these parts that are commonly
      available?

      --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...>
      wrote:

      > www.sphere.bc.ca/test/power-parts.html
      >
      > Get them there for a buck each, it seems.
      > The op amp isn't critical, you will be able to get a
      > (better) substitute.
      >
      > BTW this seems a very dead group.
      >
      > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

    • Paul Perry
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
        I typed
        OP05 replacement
        into Google & that immediately gave me
        www.analog.com/en/prodDesc/0,2895,OP07%255F0,00.html
        whihc informs me that OP07 is a direct replacement.
        www.jameco.com has these in DIP for 61 cents each.

        I guess you are talking to secretaries or sales droids.
        If you are trying to resurrect (or clone) gear from yesteryear, you will
        likely
        need to do a bit of sleuthing first.

        The 1N3191 will be the showstopper.
        Are you sure you have the right number there?
        Because I find references to it as a Silicon power rectifier...

        Here's a good thread on DIY semiconductor radiation detectors:
        http://www.electronics-forum.info/design/Semiconductor_Geiger_counter_408205.html

        Note that unless the 1N3191 was specifically designed as a radiation
        detector, then devices
        which are "electronically equivalent" may not have the same response to
        radiation, depending
        on case material and geometry.
        That's about all I can suggest, I'm a political scientist by training, not a
        nuclear (or electronic!)
        engineer. Good luck!

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
          Funny, the information I have on the OP07 from TechAmerica (and no
          longer on line) doesn't describe it at all like the OP05... The
          1N3191 was the number given by the person who designed the circuit
          and he can't be reached so I have to take his word for it. I assume
          its a low signal detector and I'm sure silicon won't cut it..

          wrote:

          > I typed
          > OP05 replacement
          > into Google & that immediately gave me
          > www.analog.com/en/prodDesc/0,2895,OP07%255F0,00.html
          > whihc informs me that OP07 is a direct replacement.
          > www.jameco.com has these in DIP for 61 cents each.
          >
          > I guess you are talking to secretaries or sales droids.
          > If you are trying to resurrect (or clone) gear from yesteryear, you
          will
          > likely
          > need to do a bit of sleuthing first.
          >
          > The 1N3191 will be the showstopper.
          > Are you sure you have the right number there?
          > Because I find references to it as a Silicon power rectifier...
          >
          > Here's a good thread on DIY semiconductor radiation detectors:
          > http://www.electronics-
          forum.info/design/Semiconductor_Geiger_counter_408205.html

          > Note that unless the 1N3191 was specifically designed as a radiation
          > detector, then devices
          > which are "electronically equivalent" may not have the same
          response to
          > radiation, depending
          > on case material and geometry.
          > That's about all I can suggest, I'm a political scientist by
          training, not a
          > nuclear (or electronic!)
          > engineer. Good luck!
          >
          > paul perry Melbourne Australia

        • Chris AKA Junkman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 18, 2006
            Dear Paul:
            Not quite as dead as you might assume judging from postings... I'll
            wager many, like myself, 'sit in the background', just watching,
            feeling they have nothing to add to the (then) current thread. I know
            that when it's something over my head, I don't have anything to
            contribute, so I stay out of it. But I'm still checking in from time
            to time, just to see who's talking about what. Also, up here in the
            North American part of the world, it's summertime. Many folks off
            doing outside stuff rather than indoor hobbies. (More a winter thing)
            But, yea, it HAS been a bit slow lately. Pitty, too. Being disabled, I
            don't DO a lot of outdoor stuff, anytime of year.
            Best of all to you, and Happy Father's day. (At least, here it is)
            Junkman

            --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...> wrote:

            > www.sphere.bc.ca/test/power-parts.html
            >
            > Get them there for a buck each, it seems.
            > The op amp isn't critical, you will be able to get a
            > (better) substitute.
            >
            > BTW this seems a very dead group.
            >
            > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

          • Bob Hyland-PMP
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5 9:01 AM
              --- "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...> wrote:

              *snip*

              > BTW this seems a very dead group.
              >
              > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

              I agree. I find better information and more active involvement with
              the Electronics_101 group:

              That is a fairly active group, with some very knowledgable people
              (plus, some others like me that are not quite as knowledgable).
              Several members are retired engineers that spent years getting paid to
              do the stuff.

              Bob H.