Re: [Electronica] Radiation Dosage Rate Detector -need to find 2 parts

  • Paul Perry
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2006
      www.sphere.bc.ca/test/power-parts.html

      Get them there for a buck each, it seems.
      The op amp isn't critical, you will be able to get a
      (better) substitute.

      BTW this seems a very dead group.

      best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
        That site never heard of the OP05 instrumentation OPAMP nor has many
        of the suppliers I talked to like Newark.
        The origianl parts had the following id:
        Diode: 1N3191 small signal detector Germanium
        IC1:3521L (assumed instrumentation opamp)
        IC2:3292 (assumed can be replaced with 741?)
        I can't find these anywhere either. Anyone have an clue to what
        components I can use to substitute for these parts that are commonly
        available?

        --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...>
        wrote:

        > www.sphere.bc.ca/test/power-parts.html
        >
        > Get them there for a buck each, it seems.
        > The op amp isn't critical, you will be able to get a
        > (better) substitute.
        >
        > BTW this seems a very dead group.
        >
        > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

      • Paul Perry
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2006
          I typed
          OP05 replacement
          into Google & that immediately gave me
          www.analog.com/en/prodDesc/0,2895,OP07%255F0,00.html
          whihc informs me that OP07 is a direct replacement.
          www.jameco.com has these in DIP for 61 cents each.

          I guess you are talking to secretaries or sales droids.
          If you are trying to resurrect (or clone) gear from yesteryear, you will
          likely
          need to do a bit of sleuthing first.

          The 1N3191 will be the showstopper.
          Are you sure you have the right number there?
          Because I find references to it as a Silicon power rectifier...

          Here's a good thread on DIY semiconductor radiation detectors:
          http://www.electronics-forum.info/design/Semiconductor_Geiger_counter_408205.html

          Note that unless the 1N3191 was specifically designed as a radiation
          detector, then devices
          which are "electronically equivalent" may not have the same response to
          radiation, depending
          on case material and geometry.
          That's about all I can suggest, I'm a political scientist by training, not a
          nuclear (or electronic!)
          engineer. Good luck!

          paul perry Melbourne Australia
        • John Martello
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2006
            Funny, the information I have on the OP07 from TechAmerica (and no
            longer on line) doesn't describe it at all like the OP05... The
            1N3191 was the number given by the person who designed the circuit
            and he can't be reached so I have to take his word for it. I assume
            its a low signal detector and I'm sure silicon won't cut it..

            wrote:

            > I typed
            > OP05 replacement
            > into Google & that immediately gave me
            > www.analog.com/en/prodDesc/0,2895,OP07%255F0,00.html
            > whihc informs me that OP07 is a direct replacement.
            > www.jameco.com has these in DIP for 61 cents each.
            >
            > I guess you are talking to secretaries or sales droids.
            > If you are trying to resurrect (or clone) gear from yesteryear, you
            will
            > likely
            > need to do a bit of sleuthing first.
            >
            > The 1N3191 will be the showstopper.
            > Are you sure you have the right number there?
            > Because I find references to it as a Silicon power rectifier...
            >
            > Here's a good thread on DIY semiconductor radiation detectors:
            > http://www.electronics-
            forum.info/design/Semiconductor_Geiger_counter_408205.html

            > Note that unless the 1N3191 was specifically designed as a radiation
            > detector, then devices
            > which are "electronically equivalent" may not have the same
            response to
            > radiation, depending
            > on case material and geometry.
            > That's about all I can suggest, I'm a political scientist by
            training, not a
            > nuclear (or electronic!)
            > engineer. Good luck!
            >
            > paul perry Melbourne Australia

          • Chris AKA Junkman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 18, 2006
              Dear Paul:
              Not quite as dead as you might assume judging from postings... I'll
              wager many, like myself, 'sit in the background', just watching,
              feeling they have nothing to add to the (then) current thread. I know
              that when it's something over my head, I don't have anything to
              contribute, so I stay out of it. But I'm still checking in from time
              to time, just to see who's talking about what. Also, up here in the
              North American part of the world, it's summertime. Many folks off
              doing outside stuff rather than indoor hobbies. (More a winter thing)
              But, yea, it HAS been a bit slow lately. Pitty, too. Being disabled, I
              don't DO a lot of outdoor stuff, anytime of year.
              Best of all to you, and Happy Father's day. (At least, here it is)
              Junkman

              --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...> wrote:

              > www.sphere.bc.ca/test/power-parts.html
              >
              > Get them there for a buck each, it seems.
              > The op amp isn't critical, you will be able to get a
              > (better) substitute.
              >
              > BTW this seems a very dead group.
              >
              > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

            • Bob Hyland-PMP
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5 9:01 AM
                --- "Paul Perry" <pfperry@...> wrote:

                *snip*

                > BTW this seems a very dead group.
                >
                > best, paul perry, melbourne australia.

                I agree. I find better information and more active involvement with
                the Electronics_101 group:

                That is a fairly active group, with some very knowledgable people
                (plus, some others like me that are not quite as knowledgable).
                Several members are retired engineers that spent years getting paid to
                do the stuff.

                Bob H.