Re: [Electronica] Re: Schematic for Big Mouth Billy Bass

  • lucan dodson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 12:15 PM
      There is 3 at the good will here and run great I think they are about 10.00. If you want I can snag one and mail it to you. I think the total would not come to more then 15.00 at the most. Get back with me if you want to do this.

      Hope this helps
      Raymond

      Chris AKA Junkman <therealjunkman@...> wrote:
      Hi, Tony:
      I'll tell you what I would do in your situation. I would look at my
      nearest goodwill, Salvation Army, or similiar flea market for one of
      these... They are all over the place. I would then do one of two
      things. I would either use my "Junk Shop" Big Mouth Billy Bass to see
      what that transistor was, if possible, or to determine the
      transistor's type, at least. Actually, I doubt I would even go that
      far, as the extent of damage to your orginial one is likely not
      limited to the teansistor... It likely passed along the higher
      voltage for long enough before it mealted to damage other componets.
      You could be chasing after fried componets for a long time, and end
      up with an ugly bunch of cut and patch parts on the board. It's
      either just use the junk shop one, or, if there is some compelling
      reason to keep the orginial one, swap out the board.
      I've seen various versions of these gyzmos going for a dollar.
      Occasionaly, two dollars. Is it really worth all the work to fix the
      fried one? Only you know what it's worth to you, MY answer would be:
      No! (It may be a good learning experience, however) If you are trying
      to cover up the fact that you ruined the precious gift your in-laws
      gave you and your wife last Christmas, then, sure, go for it. (Been
      there, done that!)
      But in the end, I think you will find that even if you COULD simply
      replace the transistor, you'd still not have a properly working Billy
      Big Mouth. (And the transistor is likely a very common, cheap pnp or
      npn generic type, and likely almost anything in the junk box would
      do) Once you can determine if it is (Was) Npn or Pnp, just solder in
      one and see what happens. (My bet: It fries too) How to know if it
      was Pnp or Npn? Look at the voltages on your junk store Billy. I
      don't have the qualifications to teach anyone how to do biasing and
      such on transistors... Too much math for me. I just do what works, in
      most cases. I know there are plenty of smart people here, and lots
      and lots of instructions and such available to explain how to
      determine Pnp or Npn. If memory serves me right, (And it often does
      NOT) the middle letter, P or N, wshould 'see' a voltage that
      corresponds, IE: A pNp should 'see' a Negative voltage on the base.
      (OK, everyone chime in and tell me how wrong I am, and how many
      exceptions there are... I'm just trying to help) Tony, don't listen
      to me... Just go get one from the Goodwill store. Even I could spare
      a buck. And it goes to a good cause.
      Good Luck:
      Junkman
      (The name says it all)
      PS: To prevent this from happening to your 'new-to-you' Billy Big
      Mouth, solder in a Zener diode on the power input. Or, if you feel
      really ambitious, a volt reg. (7806, or the more common 7805 with a
      couple of 1n4001 diodes in the ground leg, which should give you
      right at 5+(.4x2)=5.8... Close enough for government work. You should
      be able to salvage all of these parts from any old computer PS, or
      any of a hundred and one other things)
      JNK

      --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "tonysuruda"
      <tonysuruda@...> wrote:

      > I inadvertently plugged Big Mouth Billy Bass into a 12 volt
      supply.  I
      > worked for a few seconds before smoke came out the back.  After
      > connecting it to the proper 6 volt supply, there was no audio.
      > Inspection of the circuit board showed that the final output
      > transistor had partially melted.  This transistor is Q10 on the
      > circuit board.  The markings on the transistor are not readable.  I
      > would appreciate any suggestions on finding the schematic for this
      > circuit board so that I can determine what this transistor was and
      > replace it.  I have googles on Billy Bass Schematic and found only
      > suggestions for modifying it, not the original schematic.
      >
      > Thanks, Tony

      Yahoo! Mail