Need some help with a project

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2005
      I made a radio out of an ice chest because I was tired of having to
      buy large amounts of batteries that always run out to soon.

      I took car audio parts; cd player, amp, speakers. Put them in an ice
      chest, and hooked everything up to a marine battery.

      Most of them time it can run solid for 2 days before it gets
      sluggish which is great when I am using it for tailgating at
      football games, but not so great when I am using it for 14 days for
      Mardi Gras. SO I went out and bought an extra battery to swap out
      with while the other is on the charger.

      Anyway I am looking to, if possible, hook up solar panels to it to
      a.) run the unit, and b.) charge the battery when not being used. Or
      something along those lines.

      The problem is that I have NO knowledge of solar panels and how they
      work. I have tried looking on the net but I tend to get lost in the
      technical usage of words.

      Anyhelp what so ever would be wonderful.

      Thank you so much in advance
      John Clancy
    • kc5hqh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2006
        you can buy 12 volt 1 or 2 amp solar panels in many places now adays

        set two on top of truck and connect to cooler radio with cigg adapter
        plug

        works like power source just plug in
      • John Clancy