Re: finishing touches - enclosures for devices

  • ravennaelectronics
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 14, 2005
      Howdy Tim!
      When I have an board that I am going to put in an enclosure I will
      make a template to represent that enclosure. Then I figure out how
      much room I will need for any wires that will run off the board to
      other devices such as connector, on/off switch, etc.. Finally, I
      figure out where at on an enclosure I want the on/off switch and
      things like that. With all that decided upon I figure out roughly
      what size of enclosure I will need. Ensure that you remember to
      think about the vertical room you will need. You will be mounting
      the board inside the enclosure so it will be raised up and not
      sitting on the bottom plane of the enclosure. With dimensions and
      template in hand I go to the blank cases I have and see if any of
      them will work. If not, I go to Radio Shack or Radio Scraps as I
      like to call it, and see if they have a case there that will work.
      Other place I get my cases from is Ramsey Electronics. I do a dry
      fit of the template and then I will do a dry fit with the board,
      wires, and connectors stuff. I tape things where I want them to see
      how it will look and the room it will have. Once I am satisfied I
      mark where I need to make the cut outs. I remove everything and
      then make the cut outs. I then install everything and give it a
      test to see if it works. Sometimes I will make stickers to put on
      the case or I will paint the case to enhance its' apperance. I make
      labels of all the connectors and knobs and put those on the case too.
      I hope this helps.
      Doc

      --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "vickertj" <vickery@w...>