Re: [Electronica] simple speed controller help wanted

  • Roy J. Tellason
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
      On Wednesday 12 January 2005 08:59 am, roymattblack wrote:
      > I build battery/manual control electric loco's for garden railways
      > as a hobby. They are about 1/19th scale and use an 18v motor driven
      > by 12v rechargables. At present I'm buying a kit of parts to build a
      > manual motor speed control consisting of:
      > on-off switch, forward-reverse switch, speed control potentiometer
      > and a small 3-legged voltage regulator chip and one resistor.
      > This lot is costing me £11 a time but I can see all the various
      > (similar) parts in a Squires catalogue for around £3.
      > Trouble is, I don't know what rating or value etc the voltage reg
      > chip is, or the pot. In other words, I don't know what to buy.
      > Can ANYONE help me with a simple explanation (I'm NOT an electrics
      > expert) And provide a list of the bits I need?
      > Many thanks.
      > Roy.

      Possibly. Do you have a schematic for the thing you're trying to build? Or
      is it online someplace? Without that sort of info I'm not sure what I'll be
      able to help you with.

      I know of one site that I hit some time back, do a search on "Rob Paisley",
      he's in Canada and has a ton of model railroad stuff on there and some of it
      might be applicable to what you're trying to do, particularly the "throttle"
      stuff...