Re: [Electronica] learning electronics

  • sjhartley98
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
      I started out with CIE and stuck with them for a while. The thing I
      didnt like about it was that there wasn't a real text book from them
      they had these little pamphlets that you took tests out of. and at
      the time they didnt offer a BSEE.. Also I was deployed with the navy
      and their structure was a little too rigid, the time delay for
      mailing off my tests to them getting them was too long so I ended up
      fighting a letter grade of F in a few classes even though I Aced the
      tests. I found another college that so far is really great.
      Grantham University out of LA. www.granthem.edu The first 2 xlasses
      use their own books and also simulation software electronics
      workbench. Often talked about here. I like it in short. Then they
      use college level texts. All the books and software comes with the
      price of the course, and are shipped to you free. to compare the
      two I think Grantham is better. The only problem is that grantham
      utilises simulation software where CIE uses a small expiriment board
      and has soldering labs. But if you think about it everything you
      will be doing in design will be using software first now any way and
      for me it is harder to learn how to use the computer than how to use
      a soldering iron. Form Grantham they have classes up to Masters
      Degree level as well.

      Grantham is a distance learning school and all their tests are on
      line except for the semester finals where you have to get a librarian
      or someone like that to prockter the exam.

      Keep in mind that both schools and others like it offer only national
      credits not regional ones. in other words you cant take thoes
      credits and transfer into a four year school later. Grantham is
      working on that but it will be a while. There is just a Predjuice
      against distance learning

      their staff is really helpfull as well.

      E-mail me if you have any questions

      Steve