Re: Help for 12 year old tinkerer

  • joegourlay
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
      Adding to what the others have said:

      Ebay for old books (used). You'd be surprised at what you can
      find.
      Google "Lindsay Books". They have reprints of many VERY old books
      on every subject: mechanical, electrical, and chemical. They also
      have the "Boy Experimenter" series which is probably precisely what
      you're looking for.

      The nice thing about the really old texts is the do a vastly
      superior job of explaining the basics than the post WWII texts do.

      Parts: if he's handy enough to solder, then junkyards are great
      places to scrounge for basic components (resistors, caps, etc).
      Ditto appliance repair places that deal with things like microwave
      ovens, stereo's etc... Likely they'll have old, maybe even tube
      age, stuff that's great for kids (with your supervision).

      Also, any fairly large town near you is likely to have an
      electronics "dump". Think "Radio Shack" for real and on steroids.
      Those places also tend to do a good job of stocking "starter" kits
      for young'uns (aka, build your own crystal radio, etc).
    • Dave Last
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 10, 2005
        Dear All,

        Re Help for 12 year old tinkerer...

        It was at about that age I started to 'tinker' with electronics, it
        was a long time ago, in the early 60s. Now I'm nearing retirement and
        would love to pass on what I know to someone the same as I was when I
        was 12, someone who has a passion for electronics beyond the PC and
        computer games...i.e. real hardware...

        Sadly I'm not in the US, but in S.E.Asia (Thailand), I'm from the UK
        but have been living here a long time. The love of electronics is
        exciting and infectious, and those with a real interest can do
        reasonably well in life, but they are most unlikely to be the next
        Bill Gates.

        If there is anyone out there who has a youngster interested in
        hardware electronics I would like to hear from them, if even only by
        e-mail. Sadly there are too many 'electronics engineers' out there
        who don't know the difference between the hot and cold end of a
        soldering iron...

        Dave.

        --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "palmerjoss001"