Total newbie: oscilloscope question

  • joegourlay
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 7, 2004
      Gents, I dabbled in electronics many years ago, but for all
      practical purposes am a rank newbie. I have a need to build an
      inductive heating circuit for melting small batches of steel.

      Looking out on the web, I see several complicated ways and few
      simple ways to get it done. In all cases, I think I'll need an
      oscope. Indeed, the frustration of not having one is one reason I
      left the hobby years ago.

      Recently I ran across the boxes you plug into your PC that let you
      use the PC as an oscilloscope. Have you all used these? Any
      impressions? Do they perform okay on frequencies from 60Hz to
      450khz? Any thoughts on how to select a good newbie scope?

      Thanks....