Re: Help for 12 year old tinkerer

  • Riaz Sobrany
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2004
      --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "-------------------"
      <xxxtoytech@y...> wrote:

      > See your local public library for useful reference books;

      Many public libraries in Britain seem to be reducing the number of
      electronics books they hold and in their place filling the shelves
      with elementary computer books that explain how to use software like
      Word or Excel. The place to find LOADS of electronics books covering
      every level from complete beginners to PhD level experts is the
      library of a university with a large electronic engineering
      department. They also contain loads of electronics magazines as well.

      find out
      > what level of theory he can understand. You might also look at
      this
      > book
      > http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=NO-HB2005
      > by the American Radio Relay League. You should shop around for a
      > couple of books on basic electronics theory; get an age
      appropriate
      > one. Also a blank notebook to write down his data, tests and
      > experiments in. He should try to learn the basic schematic symbols
      as
      > quickly as possible and basic electronic theory (i.e. Ohm's law).
      > Learn the resistor color code, the metric system and the proper
      > abbreviations for all the common units (ampere, farad, watt etc.)
      > Make sure he has proper tools and knows how to use them safely. By
      > proper tools I mean ones that are high quality to begin with and
      are
      > kept that way. He won't need very many to begin with.
      > Unfortunately there are fewer magazines out now about electronics.

      Actually there are hundreds of electronics magazines but most are
      aimed at electronics professionals and obtained via subscription.
      The best place to find a collection of these magazines is a
      university library.

      > can recommend Circuit Cellar for excellent articles but it does
      > require some basic knowledge about computers, programming and
      > electronics. See Electronics World magazine also at:
      > http://www.softcopy.co.uk/electronicsworld/
      > It is a British magazine that has stuff for amateurs.
      > Depending upon how much money you wish to spend I can suggest a
      > couple of other things you might want to get.
      >
      > -a digital multimeter (measure voltage, resistance etc.)
      > -a lab power supply (cuts down on $$ for batteries and is safer
      than
      > AC)
      > -a soldering station
      >
      > Regards
      > xxxtoytech
      >
      > --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "palmerjoss001"
      > <dlcotts@h...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi All,
      > > I am joining a couple of e-mail groups in hopes of finding
      someone
      > > that can help me. My 12 year old son is into the Junkyard War
      scene.
      > > Ever since he was tiny he has loved motors, pulleys, rockets,
      power,
      > > circuitry, remote control cars and planes, gadgets and gizmos,
      etc.
      > > need to just get him a box of spare parts and let him go to
      work. He
      > > loves to tinker and invent. The trouble is I don't know ANYTHING
      > about
      > > this area. I am hoping that you all will be willing to share your
      > > favorite books, websites, resources, magazines, indispensable
      items,
      > > catalogs, WHATEVER. I could spend hours pouring over the list of
      > > science books Amazon has and still get the wrong ones. I hope
      that
      > you
      > > can get me pointed in the right direction so that I can help this
      > > budding inventor on his way. Thank you VERY much in advance.
      Debbie
    • joegourlay
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
        Adding to what the others have said:

        Ebay for old books (used). You'd be surprised at what you can
        find.
        Google "Lindsay Books". They have reprints of many VERY old books
        on every subject: mechanical, electrical, and chemical. They also
        have the "Boy Experimenter" series which is probably precisely what
        you're looking for.

        The nice thing about the really old texts is the do a vastly
        superior job of explaining the basics than the post WWII texts do.

        Parts: if he's handy enough to solder, then junkyards are great
        places to scrounge for basic components (resistors, caps, etc).
        Ditto appliance repair places that deal with things like microwave
        ovens, stereo's etc... Likely they'll have old, maybe even tube
        age, stuff that's great for kids (with your supervision).

        Also, any fairly large town near you is likely to have an
        electronics "dump". Think "Radio Shack" for real and on steroids.
        Those places also tend to do a good job of stocking "starter" kits
        for young'uns (aka, build your own crystal radio, etc).
      • Dave Last
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 10, 2005
          Dear All,

          Re Help for 12 year old tinkerer...

          It was at about that age I started to 'tinker' with electronics, it
          was a long time ago, in the early 60s. Now I'm nearing retirement and
          would love to pass on what I know to someone the same as I was when I
          was 12, someone who has a passion for electronics beyond the PC and
          computer games...i.e. real hardware...

          Sadly I'm not in the US, but in S.E.Asia (Thailand), I'm from the UK
          but have been living here a long time. The love of electronics is
          exciting and infectious, and those with a real interest can do
          reasonably well in life, but they are most unlikely to be the next
          Bill Gates.

          If there is anyone out there who has a youngster interested in
          hardware electronics I would like to hear from them, if even only by
          e-mail. Sadly there are too many 'electronics engineers' out there
          who don't know the difference between the hot and cold end of a
          soldering iron...

          Dave.