Re: Intro and a request for suggestions (kind of long, sorry)

  • -------------------
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi Hugh,
      I don't see any problems with your basic idea, I wouldn't worry about
      whether or not the relays are connected to negative or ground to
      switch them (as long as you make sure you insulate ALL the contacts).
      My concerns would be as follows:

      (1) The top hat switch on joysticks is meant to be used indoors on
      consumer electronics. If it sits outside in the rain or gets dirt
      dumped on it it may malfunction. You might consider going to an
      industrial supplier for the switches that are used for overhead
      hoists; these switches have a similar configuration and are
      weatherproofed. You could also use a joystick from a commercial video
      game. These joysticks are really beefy and have four contacts (front,
      back, left, right).

      (2) Some type of circuit to prevent events from happening that
      shouldn't go together (maybe bucket down, dump?). You might be able
      to use a second set of contacts in the relay for this. Might be a
      good idea to work out a truth table for all events just to be on the
      safe side.

      Regards
      xxxtoytech

      --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh" <hmhumes@a...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      > My name is Hugh and I've just joined this group. I searched the
      > archives for an answer but came up empty. Here's what I'm trying
      > do.
      >
      > I have a garden tractor that has a small front end loader (dump
      > bucket) on it. The bucket kit came with a toggle switch that is
      > used to control an electric actuator that raises and lowers the
      > bucket and a seperate rocker switch that is used to control a small
      > 12V winch that dumps the bucket and resets the bucket. Both of
      > these switches simply reverse the polarity on the two wires that go
      > to the actuator (or winch).
      >
      > I want to take a 4-way hat switch, that thing under your thumb on
      > the top of a joystick, and use it to control four 12V/30A SPDT
      Bosch
      > relays that in turn control the actuator and the winch.
      > forward = down, back = up, left = dump bucket, right = reset
      bucket,
      > center = null
      > I already know how to wire up the the relays to do what I want.
      I'd

      http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg0622354226577.htm