Re: lightning detector

  • -------------------
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 15, 2004
      Hi Fahad,
      Lightning causes a rapid rise in light levels against a constant
      background level. One easy way to detect lightning flashes is to use
      a phototransistor to monitor light levels, filter the output through
      a capacitor/resistor combination to remove low frequency components
      (slow background light level changes) then feed the output into a
      LM555 timer IC (trigger pin 2)configured as a pulse stretcher
      (monostable multivibrator). The reason for the pulse stretcher is to
      give you time to see the output (the 555 will hold the output for
      various periods of time depending upon how you configure it). Output
      to an LED for visual or a small buzzer. A 555 can power an LED
      without any additional components. As with everything electronic,
      experiment. Breadboard your circuit first, use a camera flash to
      simulate lightning flashes. You could also construct four of these
      and point them in different directions (north, south, east, west) to
      tell you which direction the lightning was coming from.

      You can also detect electrical discharges in the air using circuits
      such as the ones available here:
      http://www.techlib.com/electronics/lightning.html

      I remember a few older circuits that used a single FET with an LC
      filter and an antenna hooked up to the gate. This used the same
      principle as the detectors above but was simpler and probably not as
      sensitive.

      Regards
      xxxtoytech

      --- In home_electronics@yahoogroups.com, "Fahad Salem" <ee_tool@h...>