Robodome

  • Michel Hebert
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Hi Dave,

      Hopefully this list will grow and there will be lots of interesting
      discussions.

      I live north of Montreal in the country and I will be building an
      observatory this summer. Since it will be remotely operated I was
      thinking of getting the small robodome.

      Since you live in the same type of weather conditions as I, did you
      have any snow coming in your dome? Any other comments will be
      appreciated. What makes it even more interesting is that there is
      now a canadian supplier in Ontario. That is how I found out about
      your group.

      Would you mind if I advertise your group in the other groups I
      subscribe?

      Regards from La Belle Province,

      Michel
    • Walter MacDonald
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
        Michel Hebert wrote:
        Hopefully this list will grow and there will be lots of interesting
        discussions.
        Nice to see some traffic on this new list!  I've been meaning to send a message but so far, like everyone else, I've just been lurking.
        Since you live in the same type of weather conditions as I, did you
        have any snow coming in your dome?  Any other comments will be
        appreciated.  What makes it even more interesting is that there is
        now a canadian supplier in Ontario.  That is how I found out about
        your group.
        I have had a 6' HomeDome on top of my house for almost a year now and have not had any snow (or rain) come in the dome.  The dome successfully operated three nights in a row in the -30C weather we had here in January!  Being able to image from a warm room during the winter has been fantastic.

        If you want to see my setup, there are pictures at http://www.starlightccd.com/walter/storybook/observatories/wo

        Highlights from 2003 are here: http://www.starlightccd.com/walter/logbook/2000s/2003/2003.htm

        --
        Walter MacDonald II [MDW]
        Winchester, Ontario, Canada.

        Winchester Electronics: http://www.starlightccd.com
        My Personal Web Site  : http://www.starlightccd.com/walter

      • Dave Lane
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
          Hi Michel,

          I've been slow in replying and Walter's message twigged my memory...

          At 08:33 PM 2/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:

          >Since you live in the same type of weather conditions as I, did you
          >have any snow coming in your dome? Any other comments will be
          >appreciated. What makes it even more interesting is that there is
          >now a canadian supplier in Ontario. That is how I found out about
          >your group.

          We have not had that much snow this year, but with what we've had I have
          had no snow get in other than the time I went inside to wait out the clouds
          and looked out and said "holy s**t" - its snowing out!

          On the cold that we've had the dome has worked well. I opened/closed it as
          low as -20C

          >Would you mind if I advertise your group in the other groups I
          >subscribe?

          Please do -- I intended to do the same, but I haven't found time to do that
          yet.

          ... Dave