Shutter limit switches

  • mniemi000
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
      Hi All,

      We have a HD-10 at our club observatory. The shutter cable has come off of
      the windlass a couple of times due to inexperienced users running the
      shutter too far in either direction. I am looking to electrically limit the
      travel to keep the cable on the screw. I know that DDW uses limit switches,
      but it is not in the budget at this point. What I am wondering is if anyone
      has wired up a set of limit switches, magnetic or mechanical, on the
      standard motor control box and if so how they have done it. Anyone?

      TIA, Marty
    • Dave Lane
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
        At 12:12 PM 8/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >We have a HD-10 at our club observatory. The shutter cable has come off of
        >the windlass a couple of times due to inexperienced users running the
        >shutter too far in either direction. I am looking to electrically limit the
        >travel to keep the cable on the screw. I know that DDW uses limit switches,
        >but it is not in the budget at this point. What I am wondering is if anyone
        >has wired up a set of limit switches, magnetic or mechanical, on the
        >standard motor control box and if so how they have done it. Anyone?

        I did this as part of my home-built dome controller - actually its a
        separate box that has mag switches at both top and bottom. Its not that
        difficult to do. I decided not to use relays, but rather went with solid
        state MOSFET switches. I think I could dig up the schematics if
        interested...Dave
      • Don Lewis
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
          You can also find the schematic for the TI solution in the
          addendum section of their manual.
          My dome came with the TI solution.
          Don Lewis

          --- In home_dome_users@yahoogroups.com, Dave Lane <dlane@a...> wrote:
          > At 12:12 PM 8/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:
          > >Hi All,
          > >
          > >We have a HD-10 at our club observatory. The shutter cable has
          come off of
          > >the windlass a couple of times due to inexperienced users running the
          > >shutter too far in either direction. I am looking to electrically
          limit the
          > >travel to keep the cable on the screw. I know that DDW uses limit
          switches,
          > >but it is not in the budget at this point. What I am wondering is
          if anyone
          > >has wired up a set of limit switches, magnetic or mechanical, on the
          > >standard motor control box and if so how they have done it. Anyone?
          >
          > I did this as part of my home-built dome controller - actually its a
          > separate box that has mag switches at both top and bottom. Its not that
          > difficult to do. I decided not to use relays, but rather went with
          solid
          > state MOSFET switches. I think I could dig up the schematics if
          > interested...Dave
        • mniemi000
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
            Dave,

            Thanks. I would like to see your schematics. Magnetic switches sure seem
            to make this easy.

            Marty

            mniemi000@...

            > >We have a HD-10 at our club observatory. The shutter cable has come off
            of
            > >the windlass a couple of times due to inexperienced users running the
            > >shutter too far in either direction. I am looking to electrically limit
            the
            > >travel to keep the cable on the screw. I know that DDW uses limit
            switches,
            > >but it is not in the budget at this point. What I am wondering is if
            anyone
            > >has wired up a set of limit switches, magnetic or mechanical, on the
            > >standard motor control box and if so how they have done it. Anyone?
            >
            > I did this as part of my home-built dome controller - actually its a
            > separate box that has mag switches at both top and bottom. Its not that
            > difficult to do. I decided not to use relays, but rather went with solid
            > state MOSFET switches. I think I could dig up the schematics if
            > interested...Dave
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mniemi000
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
              Don,

              Thanks. I do recall seeing a schematic there. I'll take a look.

              Marty