Re: Shutter Bind Up

  • Don Lewis
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 11, 2004
      In my case (looking at the dome from behind) the front shutters
      bottom left corner catches on the beginning of the ridge on the
      left rear quadrant. This causes the front shutter handle end to
      do a hard left shift as the left rear is hard up against the
      quadrant.
      This is caused by too wide a margin between the width of the front
      shutter and the width of the dome quadrants ridge the shutter rides
      on. My Dome quadrant ridge is 35.5 inches inside width. As a test
      I cut a 35.75 inch long dowel and placed inside the upper part
      of the dome quadrant ridge about 45 degrees up from the front opening.
      This spread the dome halves and the shutters open and close very
      smoothly. This keeps the shutters aligned on the dome quadrants and
      reduces motor torque as the teflon glides stay on the ridges this way.
      Now for a more permanent solution.

      jmtcw:

      Don Lewis
      Wye Mountain Observatory
      http://users.tcworks.net/~djlewis
      djlewis@...

      --- In home_dome_users@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Long" <Tim@l...> wrote:
      > I'm assuming you turned your shutter catchers upside down in an
      attempt to fix whatever was going wrong. What is it exactly that was
      happening?

    • mike_from_tn@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 12, 2004
        It has been very informative reading the posts on this topic but I
        am curious if there are some pictures out there showing things in
        perspective?

        Other than the problem the other night my shutters are working very
        good now with the broomstick <g>.

        Mike
      • Don Lewis
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 13, 2004
          Everytime I think I might get a digital camera I place
          building materials higher on the I need this list.
          Yeah, my stick wedged between the ridges helps me
          a great deal. I'm thinking velcro and a simple hinge to
          store it aout of the line of sight of the dome window
          when dome is open. This spacer also helps relieve the load
          of the dome on the rotating ring when it is parked and closed.
          I have a picture on my web site a I might add text to
          that will illustrate my findings.

          Don Lewis