Sep 26

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2002
      +PAX

      No, I am not back on line yet. Sigh... Borrowing Mary Kenny's
      computer for this post and a mail check. HOWEVER... while I do not
      have a reflection for today, I do have an urgent appeal.

      The Camaldolese Benedictine nuns are a small monastery, only three
      members. They have had to replace their furnace and have not sent out
      an appeal in four years (!) Trust me, I have been a guest at their
      two log cabins on a mountain side: their old furnace was the ONLY
      wood-burning one I have ever seen. Their original commitment to be as
      gentle to the environment as possible, hence the log furnace, was
      begun when all three were considerably younger. I am sad they had
      this expense, but I am so glad they won't be hauling logs around
      anymore! As my dear Sisters there "grow in age and grace", that kind
      of stuff becomes harder and harder.

      Anyway, anything at all that you might be able to donate, no matter
      how small, would be a tremendous help to them right now and I know
      these women are more than deserving of your help. In an age when many
      might, for a variety of reasons, be thinking of withholding some
      parish or diocesan contributions, why not consider a wider view of
      Church and throw some their way? Contemplative women, they receive no
      support whatever from the diocesan Church and have struggled to pay
      their own way with years and years of very hard work.

      Sr. Donald, a member of this house is known to many of you from her
      wonderful retreats. She also gave the retreats to Monastic Life list
      and both our communities here at Petersham a couple of years back.

      Here is their address. I do so hope that many of you will be able to
      help them.

      Transfiguration Monastery
      701 NY Rte. 79
      Windsor, NY 13865-2700

      The first degree of humility, then,
      is that a person keep the fear of God before his eyes
      and beware of ever forgetting it.
      Let him be ever mindful of all that God has commanded;
      let his thoughts constantly recur
      to the hell-fire which will burn for their sins
      those who despise God,
      and to the life everlasting which is prepared
      for those who fear Him.
      Let him keep himself at every moment from sins and vices,
      whether of the mind, the tongue, the hands, the feet,
      or the self-will,
      and check also the desires of the flesh.