Holy Rule for Mar. 26

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Darlene, possible liver and colon cancer, results not back yet. She has a job with no disability coverage, so if she doesn't work, she isn't paid, a very difficult situation for her and her family. Prayers for someone who faith is sorely tested. Prayers, too, for Chris and all those in addiction recovery programs. Prayers for all on retreat, here and elsewhere, this weekend. May God fill them with graces which they will, in turn, carry to others and the world. Continued prayers for Terry Schiavo, who remains without food or water, courts so far refusing all attempts by her parents to re-instate nutrition and hydration. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 26, July 26, November 25
      Chapter 46: On Those Who Fail in Any Other Matters

      When anyone is engaged in any sort of work,
      whether in the kitchen, in the cellar, in a shop,
      in the bakery, in the garden, while working at some craft,
      or in any other place,
      and she commits some fault,
      or breaks something, or loses something,
      or transgresses in any other way whatsoever,
      if she does not come immediately
      before the Abbess and the community
      of her own accord
      to make satisfaction and confess her fault,
      then when it becomes known through another,
      let her be subjected to a more severe correction.

      But if the sin-sickness of the soul is a hidden one,
      let her reveal it only to the Abbess or to a spiritual mother,
      who knows how to cure her own and others' wounds
      without exposing them and making them public.

      REFLECTION

      I can hear parents relating to this one! "When you break something,
      why don't you tell me? Don't just hide the pieces and say nothing."
      Well, truthfully, sometimes people may have been afraid to ask us
      because of ways we have reacted before, but that's not always so. As
      guest master, I can assure you that many adults have very adolescent
      habits when it comes to breaking something, even though they have
      never had any dealings with me on the matter before. Nothing is said,
      the damage is hidden and I find out a lot later.

      That's too bad, because I really like to give a monastic witness to
      the value of people before things and a broken plate or glass or
      toilet is a great way to do that. When people do come to me, always
      apologetic, and often quite sheepish as well, I say something
      like: "Oh, that's OK! We can always get another pitcher, but we can
      never get another you! People before things!"

      People before things. That is so crucial to remember, because all of
      us have lived in a very materialist world. For people of our times,
      some of the Holy Rule's insistence that we be careful of the earthly
      goods of monastery or home must be carefully balanced. Otherwise, we
      run into the trap of becoming monastic materialists, quite a
      contradiction in terms, to say the least. Yes, we must be careful of
      things, but we must always keep uppermost in our minds that the
      greatest treasures or family or monastery or workplace are the
      members themselves. If frugality becomes stinginess, if conservation
      breaks charity, we are way, way off the mark.

      There's another little gem here, right at the end. Not everyone in
      the group needs to know all your details all the time, but letting no
      one at all know is equally foolish. A balance must be obtained here,
      as in all things. Knowing whom to tell what to is a delicate art of
      paying very close attention to reality of the other person. Some
      people may not be trustworthy, others may not profit from knowing for
      other reasons, like distress or worry or even scandal. Weigh those
      considerations very, very carefully.

      Being HIV+ has given me a bit of experience in this last regard.
      There are those, I know, who think it imprudent to be as candid as I
      am about my antibody status. However, I choose the candor for very
      valid reasons and I do not apply them in every situation, with every
      person I meet. Can't do that. Wouldn't be good for them or for me.
      Might be sometime, isn't just yet.

      This is very different thing from being secretive or closety. I need- we
      all need- to weigh our audience. That's mindfulness of others. Some
      weigh things far too cautiously. My experience has shown me that, while
      being bold can be scary, it also call forth things from people that neither I
      nor sometimes they knew they had going for them! Sometimes our candor can
      bring out the best in all of us, or at least in most of us, and those
      are the times to forge ahead!

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2006

        Prayers, please, for someone virtually homebound, suffering severe isolation, loneliness and depression: may the Light of Christ appear, not only at the end of the tunnel, but on all its walls!! [Those of us who know depression ought to pray especially for others suffering from it and, when afflicted ourselves, to offer our sufferings for others, especially those who are depressed and for the Holy Souls.]

        Prayers for Fran and for her daughter who has an endoscopy exam scheduled after a long wait. Prayers for the health system that engendered the wait, too! Prayers for a Mom of premature twins, both of whom died, and for the patients in a very troubled geriatric/psychiatric ward. Prayers for the father of a religious who is very near death, for his happy death, eternal rest and for all his family. Prayers for newborn Lauren Elizabeth, may she love God and fulfill His will for her in her life, also for her parents and grandparents and all her family. Prayers for Fr. Jim, still paralysis in his leg, still no diagnosis. Prayers, too, for the happy death and eternal rest of Pat and for all who mourn him, also for Paul, surgery for liver cancer, and for Pam, who must enter a nursing home, prayers for Rose, who asked and for all their families.

        Prayers for Will, travelling to do some vocational inquiry, that he find where God wants him and faithfully remove obstacles that would impede him in following the will of God. Prayers for Judith, going on a long awaited retreat this week, for a holy and grace-filled retreat of blessings and listening! Prayers for Jonathan and his discernment of a call to religious life, and for all involved in the process. May he truly find and follow God's perfect will for him and may the Church aid him every step of the way in doing that.

[...]

        attention to reality of the other person. Such attentiveness to another is
        an exquisite exercise of personalism, a trait we should all desire! Some

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 25, 2007

          Prayers, please, for a mother and grandmother who both need to be strong in
          their determination to stop enabling a grown daughter. Prayers, please, for
          Joseph. He will undergo heart bypass surgery Monday morning. Prayers for the
          happy death and eternal rest of Marge, who was buried yesterday, and for all
          who mourn her. She battled cancer and heart problems for over 20 years.

          Great Deo gratias and rejoicing, for Danielle, who just got accepted into
          nursing school, also for Daniel, who has gotten his house and kids back, long
          story, but ardent prayers of thanks and for continued blessings for both! Lord,
          help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

          brjeromeleo@...