Holy Rule for Feb. 21

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Jean, tests today for her surgery on Wednesday, especially for calm and peace. She does NOT care much for doctors... Prayers of Deo gratias for Emma, 85, and thanks from her family. She is making slow and steady progress after her cancer surgery and may be discharged tomorrow to home or re-hab. She needs some strength built up to go on chemo, so please continue prayers for her and all her family.

      Particular thanks to all who wrote kind notes about our sick hen. She looked slightly, very slightly better yesterday, certainly not as worsened as I am ashamed to admit I feared she might! Her eye is now almost fully open, but she seems to have an abscess. Br. Vincent and I continue to treat her and I ask you all to pray for her and for us. There is such awesome humility and serenity and acceptance of the moment in animals' suffering. As many know, it is heart-rending, but what a lesson to us humans who can be so very different when in pain. The hen is not a pet, she is a farm animal, but I love her deeply and I thank you for your prayers. Keep 'em up! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      Let this verse be said:
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me,"
      and the "Glory be to the Father"
      then the hymn proper to each Hour.

      Then at Prime on Sunday
      four sections of Psalm 118 are to be said;
      and at each of the remaining Hours,
      that is Terce, Sext and None,
      three sections of the same Psalm 118.

      At Prime on Monday let three Psalms be said,
      namely Psalms 1, 2 and 6.
      And so each day at Prime until Sunday
      let three Psalms be said in numerical order, to Psalm 19,
      but with Psalms 9 and 17 each divided into two parts.
      Thus it comes about that the Night Office on Sunday
      always begins with Psalm 20.

      REFLECTION

      Since Prime was to be said before work, its Psalms could vary. The
      Tuesday through Saturday repetition of the same 9 Psalms for minor
      hours excludes Prime, which was probably said in Church or Chapter
      room, or partially in both. Since Prime was celebrated where books
      were available, it could use different Psalms every day and did.
      There was no need for the memorization which would allow farmer monks
      to celebrate None in the midst of a hayfield.

      The distinction of lay brothers and sisters who did not celebrate the
      full choral Office did not come about until long after St. Benedict's
      time. Hence, there were choir monks and nuns working in the fields
      who had to fulfill their obligation. This at least partially explains
      the use of the same nine Psalms every day on the week's 6 work days,
      with variations only on Sunday, when all could be in Church. Those
      nine Psalms slipped readily into memory and no books were required
      for the minor Hours while at work.

      I was glad to hear from some who especially loved the prayers of
      Prime. So do I! Here, however, is yet another offering from the
      Office of Prime: its hymn. Being metrical, it is easily memorized. A
      nurse friend of mine told me years ago she used to sing this hymn
      every morning at an Episcopal summer camp for kids. Not a bad idea at
      all! Enjoy! If the commute to morning work or school allowed for
      nothing else, it could always easily include this!

      Petersham, MA 01366

      HYMN

      Now that the daylight fills the sky
      We lift our hearts to God on high,
      That He, in all we do or say,
      Would keep us free from harm today:

      Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
      From anger's din would hide our life;
      From evil sights would turn our eyes;
      Would close our ears to vanities.

      So we, when this new day is gone
      and night in turn is drawing on,
      With conscience by the world unstained
      Shall praise His name for vict'ry gained.

      To God the Father and the Son
      And Holy Spirit, three in one,
      Be endless glory as before
      The world began, so evermore. Amen.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Mary R., for whom we prayed. She has gone to God. For her happy death and eternal rest, for her son, Nick, her daughter, who is taking her death especially hard, and for all her family and friends who mourn her. Joyce, the choking victim for whom we prayed, was taken off life support and went quietly to God. For her happy death and eternal rest and for her family, friends and all who mourn her. Aidan is having surgery tomorrow and asks our prayers, he is understandably a bit nervous about the surgery and his recovery. For his serenity and quick recovery! Continued prayers for the eternal rest of Don, for his wife, Joyce and his family. Since his death was so sudden, they are encountering all kinds of problems settling his affairs, account passwords they don't know, etc. it only adds to their pain in this already difficult time. (That should remind us all to leave things like that available- we know not the day nor the hour of our own passing and it would make things so much easier for those we leave behind.) Anita asks prayers for some personal problems that, if not resolved, may prevent her from graduating in June. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. Allis mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Let this verse be said:
[...]

        every morning at an Episcopalian summer camp for kids. Not a bad idea at
        all! Enjoy! If the commute to morning work or school allowed for
        nothing else, it could always easily include this!

        Petersham, MA 01366

        HYMN

        Now that the daylight fills the sky
        We lift our hearts to God on high,
        That He, in all we do or say,
        Would keep us free from harm today:

        Would guard our hearts and tongues from strife;
        From anger's din would hide our life;
        From evil sights would turn our eyes;

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 20, 2007

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Lou Ann, a Monastic Life
          list member, as she moves into palliative care and nears the end of her battle
          with cancer, also for her husband, Ken, her sister, Amanda, and all her family.
          Monastic Life list has set aside today, Ash Wednesday, as a special day of
          prayer for her.

          Prayers for Shirley, several different orthopedic surgeries in the recent
          past have her in terrible pain with the cold weather at all those different
          joints and sites. Prayers for Ann, healing of the past and for her continued
          will to forgive. Prayers for God's perfect will for Brendan and Basil. Prayers
          for M., tough times adjusting to a divorce. Lord, help us all as You know and
          Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Let this verse be said:
[...]

          From anger's din would hide our life;
          From evil sights would turn our eyes;
          Would close our ears to vanities.

          So we, when this new day is gone
          and night in turn is drawing on,
          With conscience by the world unstained
          Shall praise His name for vict'ry gained.

          To God the Father and the Son
          And Holy Spirit, three in one,
          Be endless glory as before
          The world began, so evermore. Amen.

          <BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
          http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free
          safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
          web, free AOL Mail and much more.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Fr. Ed McDonough,CSSR, and for all who mourn him.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat them or care for them:

            Deo ghratias and thanks for Cate, whose leg surgery went very well.

            Samuel, 3, (for whom we have prayed) who experienced another seizure while being examined by the neurologist. Still no diagnosis but teats to follow.

            for one who is striving to discover true humility, to be humble enough to do what one ought to do and not try what one ought not to do - and trust in God...

            Let this verse be said:
[...]

            From anger's din would hide our life;
            From evil sights would turn our eyes;