Holy Rule for Feb. 17

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 17, 2005

      Some great prayers of DEO GRATIAS! Lillian, for whom we prayed, has delivered a healthy boy, Brendan. For his parents, grandparents and all this family, prayers for grace and strength as he grows and prayers of deep thanks! Don has received help for his post-traumatic stress disorder from a doctor with a BENEDICTINE background and slant! Don't find them on every corner! Prayer for his continued progress and thanks to God and to the Holy Souls, whom I feel sure helped him out with their prayers- I pestered them quite a bit! Prayers, too, for the solution of a problem at a Catholic agency between employer and employee, that peace be regained for all. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2006

        Prayers, please, for Mary, apparently entering her last stages of cancer, for her happy death and eternal rest, and for Nick, her son, and all her family. Prayers for Mike and all the doctors who treat us and those we pray for, may God guide their hearts and hands! Prayers for Kevin, having a lump on his breast checked today. (Yes, breast cancer can happen in men, rare, but it does happen.) Prayers for John, facing a second colon surgery, also suffering from varicose eczema, for Anne, his wife, and for a safe procedure and speedy recovery.

        Prayers for Genny, possible skin cancer hopefully it will check out to be something else, and for Michael, her husband and all their family. Prayers for Pauline, her painful and annoying skin eruptions seem to be recurring. Brian, for whom we have prayed before continues to suffer from his bipolar disorder and alcoholism, in denial about the latter. He is due to be evicted from his apartment and his worried parents have not been able to convince him to either come home or enter treatment. Prayers for Elaine, 80, knee replacement today, and for Jim, her son and all their family. Prayers for someone facing a very difficult discernment about accepting a job.

        Finally, a joyous Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving for John and Melissa, celebrating the baptism of their newborn son, Tyler Thomas, for Tyler, his brother Nick,3, and for all their family. A day of blessings and joy! Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        February 17, June 18, October 18
        Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
        Saints

        On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals
        let the Office be performed
        as we have prescribed for Sundays,
        except that the Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons
        belonging to that particular day are to be said.
        Their number, however, shall remain as we have specified above.

        REFLECTION

        Check out the sickening glut of consumerist advertising that attends
        the approach (even the very remote approach!) of Christmas,
        Valentine's Day, or any other holiday whose traditions include gift-
        giving. Man, the sharks move in for the kill! We can firmly trust the
        secular world to promote and protect the days they stand to profit
        from.

        In fact, in the US, at least, we can count on the greeting card
        industry to even increase those special days. Long since bored with
        just Mother's Day and Father's Day, now the card industry has now
        gone to Grandparents' Day, Secretaries' WEEK, and who knows what is
        next. (Not that I don't love Secretaries, I do, but let us be frank, the greeting
        card industry had something other than love and gratitude in mind...)

        There's a truth in all this annoying materialism: those who profit
        from a thing must make it special themselves. In other words, we must
        use our best efforts to celebrate our own feasts, in our own hearts, for our own
        spiritual gain, since it is highly unlikely that the holiest feasts for us
        (unless one is named Valentine or Patrick!!) are likely to turn up anytime
        soon in the scheme of secular promotion.

        In our monastery, we celebrate feastdays, not birthdays. This took a
        bit of adjusting to, but now my feastday is even more special than my
        birthday: it is the one everyone knows about and celebrates and tries
        to make special. WE make feastdays special. We profit from them
        spiritually and it is up to us to ensure their importance.

        Take a hint from this chapter and go out of your way to make your own
        special saint's feast or feast of the Lord come alive for you. For
        years now I have loved Feb 2, the Presentation of the Lord, or
        Candlemas. It has become my favorite feast and I honestly look
        forward to it and revel in it. But I had to do that myself, to
        nurture the associations with the day and so forth. All of us can
        give that gift to ourselves and there's no consumerist madness
        involved! Especially in families, this can give the grace of a holy
        and joyous celebration that is truly ours, not some whim of the
        corporate world or a meaningless secularity.

        St. Mary's Monastery, Petersham, MA

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 16, 2007

          Prayers, please for Francis, in hospice care, but resisting receiving the
          Sacraments, which he needs badly. Special prayers (for those so inclined to join
          in,) to St. Joseph are being said for his conversion. His wife, Eva, also
          needs prayers, as she was hospitalized this week with pneumonia, and prayers
          for their son, Dave, and all their family. Prayers needed for Joan, in the
          hospital for what looked like a heart attack, but isn't. Prayers also for her
          husband, Pete, and brother, Fr. Tom. Lord, help us all as You know and will.

          _http://www.stmarysmonastery_ (http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/)

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2008

            I will be gone most of Saturday at Sr. Julian's Mom's funeral. Please pray for her and all their family. Since I will be leaving early in the morning, I am sending Sunday's Holy Rule out today. JL

            Fran, 54, who will undergo surgery on Wed. 2/20.
            Ben, who will marry soon by interfaith minister. Prayers that he marries in the Church as a sacrament.
            Mercedecado, 50, for his multiple health problems, diabetes and heart ailments worsening

            http://www.stmarysmonastery