Holy Rule for Feb. 13

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 13, 2005

      A HUGE Deo gratias! Susan, young single Mother of 4, was found, in surgery to not have any spreading melanoma. An ovarian cyst, benign, was causing the problems. She is cancer-free!

      An apology, I mistakenly named Gerry's Mom "Eva" when we prayed for her, Eva is his wife (who is also an Oblate here.) Mea culpa! However, renewed prayers for Emma, the name is right this time, 85, surgery for ovarian cancer on Monday at 1:30pm. Prayers, too, for Gerry and Jimmy and all her adult children and children-in-law, who will be helping her in her post-op care and treatment, the real Eva among them. Gerry and Jimmy have been with us here on retreat this weekend, so pray that their time here strengthens them for helping their Mom and all their family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      February 13, June 14, October 14
      Chapter 11: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on Sundays

      On Sunday
      the hour of rising for the Night Office should be earlier.
      In that Office let the measure already prescribed be kept,
      namely the singing of six Psalms and a verse.
      Then let all be seated on the benches in their proper order
      while the lessons and their responsories are read from the book,
      as we said above.
      These shall be four in number,
      with the chanter saying the "Glory be to the Father"
      in the fourth responsory only,
      and all rising reverently as soon as he begins it.

      After these lessons
      let six more Psalms with antiphons follow in order, as before,
      and a verse;
      and then let four more lessons be read with their responsories
      in the same way as the former.

      After these let there be three canticles
      from the book of the Prophets,
      as the Abbot shall appoint,
      and let these canticles be chanted with "Alleluia."
      Then when the verse has been said
      and the Abbot has given the blessing,
      let four more lessons be read,
      from the New Testament,
      in the manner prescribed above.

      After the fourth responsory
      let the Abbot begin the hymn "We praise You, O God."
      When this is finished
      the Abbot shall read the lesson from the book of the Gospels,
      while all stand in reverence and awe.
      At the end let all answer "Amen,"
      and let the Abbot proceed at once
      to the hymn "To You be praise."
      After the blessing has been given,
      let them begin the Morning Office.

      This order for the Night Office on Sunday
      shall be observed the year around,
      both summer and winter;
      unless it should happen (which God forbid)
      that the brethren be late in rising,
      in which case the lessons or the responsories
      will have to be shortened somewhat.
      Let every precaution be taken, however,
      against such an occurrence;
      but if it does happen,
      then the one through whose neglect it has come about
      should make due satisfaction to God in the oratory.

      REFLECTION

      Making the comparatively safe assumption that the majority of those
      reading this will not be spending the wee hours of Sunday celebrating
      three nocturns instead of two, what do we glean from this? Well, for
      starters, let's note that St. Benedict goes out of his way to make
      Sunday special year-round, even when he would at other times shorten
      the Office. Making Sunday special, by the way, was not some novel
      idea of his own: it's a commandment of God, one we often forget these
      days.

      Sunday is not just a day off. Sunday is not observed by just cramming
      Church in somehow and the rest of the day no different. The Roman
      Catholic practice of Saturday Vigil Masses can really throw a wrench
      into this: do it late Saturday afternoon and "get it out of the way."
      Whoops! In spite of the theological and liturgical justifications of
      a Vigil Mass, that's what it often boils down to in people's minds:
      less than an hour, done late the day before, and you're done! Not!!!

      If Sunday affords no extra time at all to you for rest, for prayer,
      for lectio, please change something. I know one family who can't make
      it to Mass on Sunday because of sports schedules for several kids in
      different games. What will those kids grow up thinking of as
      Sabbath? A rushed 45 minute Mass Saturday evening, if that? How many
      observant Jews does one find in that dilemma? None. They know what
      comes first.

      No one took the Sabbath away from Christians: we surrendered it
      ourselves! It is, by the way, still there waiting, just as God is, for us
      to take back. Fully within our power to do so. All we have to do
      is change ourselves. That can be hard at first, but the rewards are
      immense.

      Albert Schweitzer once said that the proof that Christianity had
      failed in Europe was war. I would say that the only proof needed to
      say that our Christian theology of the Sabbath has failed is to take
      a look at what's left of Sunday. And please don't blame the pagans
      for this one: we are at the root of the problem. Most likely at fault
      was our legalistic idea of "youse goes to Church and youse done with it."

      Hence, don't go running for some Christian source to read up on the
      Sabbath. Check out your library or bookstore for some good Jewish
      books on how to keep the seasons, holidays and Sabbath. You're going
      to have a refreshing surprise. You're going to find deep holiness and
      you're going to find it largely "home-made" by the believers
      themselves, in their own homes. If you whine, as Christians can, how
      tough it is to run uphill against a secular world's Sunday, bear in mind that
      Jews are doing all this themselves on SATURDAY, with absolutely no
      cooperation from government or business or society at all.

      This, by the way, is not imposing monasticism on your children: it's
      making them Christian. Not an optional job!

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 13, 2006

        Prayers, please, for all in harm's way in Iraq and other war zones in the world. Prayers for all suffering from terrorist threats and attacks. Prayers for Fr. Jim, being treated brain and lung cancer. Prayers for Paul, depression and his wife and family. Prayers for Shane, 23, killed in a car wreck and for his parents and all his grieving family and friends. He was their eldest son. Hug your kids while you have them, because we never know what will happen today or tomorrow. Prayers for Cindy, ovarian cancer, and for her husband and children. For students not applying themselves to study and for their parents and educators, often in conflict. Prayers for someone addicted to internet porn and struggling to recover, also for the spouse who was pained when the problem became known. Prayers for a couple in serious pain. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL
[...]

        Many of us can clearly recall when no stores were open
        on Sunday, save a few of the gas stations and an emergency
        pharmacy. Wonder how our willingness to make Sunday just another
        shopping day contributed to the change we see today?

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 12, 2007

          Prayers, please, for Gavin, premature baby we have prayed for in the past,
          and for his parents and doctors. Gavin is having surgery to repair a hole in
          his heart. Prayers for all those folks who care for our prayer intention people
          and for us, whether spiritually, mentally or physically. May God guide and
          reward them all.
          Prayers for Marilla, angiogram to check circulatory problems which have
          delayed her knee replacement. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
[...]

          pharmacy. I wonder how our willingness to make Sunday just another
[...]

          This Sunday observance, by the way, is not imposing monasticism on your
          children: it's making them Christian. Not an optional job!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 12, 2008

            A bleated happy birthday prayer request for Judith, whose birthday was the 11th. Ad multos annos!!

            A baby who stopped breathing for about a minute, and for her worried parents, no assessment of brain damage, if any, as yet.

            Deo gratias for C., 22 years of sobriety! Many more!!

            Prayers for Paul, still dealing with so much since his Dad's illness and death and trying to help his Mom, too. Special prayers for a holy Lent, hard to balance with all this other concern.

            Deo Gratias for Bob who we prayed for when it was thought he might have cancer test back and no sign of cancer.
            Jenny who just found out she is pregnant after 3 miscarriages, that she carries the baby to full term, for God's will.