Holy Rule for Feb. 7

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for James, an addict who is showing some improvement, for his Mom and for his son, Lance, and all his family, grace and strength for all. Prayers, too, for Alexei, very sick, and for Charlene, his Mom. Prayers for Jack, heart bypass surgery on Thursday, and for all his family in this stressful time. He was apparently well when this problem was discovered. Prayers for Eva, who broken her femur and for her fiance. They plan to marry in May and hope they still can. Eva had lost both legs below the knee in infancy, after a fire, and fell while they were looking at houses together. Prayers, too, for Bill, out of work and seeking God's will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      The tenth degree of humility
      is that he be not ready and quick to laugh,
      for it is written,
      "The fool lifts up his voice in laughter" (Eccles. 21:23).

      REFLECTION

      Face it, beloveds, speech and laughter have a lot in common! Both are
      often fake, insincere, nervous or empty. Both are often employed for
      no reason other than to break a silence which makes us uncomfortable.
      Both are frequently unnecessary. To the degree that both are
      sometimes false, they are destructive of truth and, therefore, of
      humility.

      I speak from experience as one of the big-time braying mules, all
      too ready to lift my fool's voice in laughter! People like me are
      quick to defend themselves by making the other side look dumb or
      challenged: "Oh, I can't stand someone with no sense of humor!" Well,
      the issue here is NOT having a sense of humor, all saints need that.
      It is having a hair trigger on same or, worse. It's having a
      catastrophic first strike capability to laugh when no one else does,
      to see humor where it truly does not exist, or to be silly in the
      presence of those far wiser than oneself.

      Every good monk I have ever known has laughed. The best monks,
      however, did not laugh easily. A knowing, warm smile with bright eyes
      or a discreet chuckle would have been most usual for them. There's
      another connection between speech and laughter here. Their moderate,
      virtuous use is connected to wisdom, which is why the person who
      rarely speaks at all is usually listened to when they do say
      something. Ditto the use of laughter. If Br. X, who laughs at
      everything, including things that aren't funny, roars in laughter,
      people don't ascribe much to the affair. On the other hand, if Br. Y,
      who is NOT given to laughter, even chuckles it is a sign that
      something is REALLY funny!

      Stupid laughter and stupid speech are both pathetic as a first
      resort. Both can stem from thinking we know something that we really
      do not, or that we can see clearly and entirely what we really see
      only partially, if that. Our ignorance in such matters may be missed
      by others, but those we live with can usually point it out, unless
      they are too polite to do so!

      Having said that about ignorance, let me jump in to defend valid
      laughter and truthful senses of humor. Merely being curmudgeonly and
      not laughing is definitely NOT the idea! That treats the symptom, not
      the cause! Joyless, cranky, unduly serious people who take
      themselves, above all, FAR too seriously, are every bit as much out
      of touch with reality as the braying jackasses.

      Both laughter and speech can be cruel and ought never to be for the Christian.
      But both can be loving and charitable, too. Surely there is no condemnation implied
      here of charity! What of the many times when a laugh or chuckle truly did break the
      ice, lighten the moment or cheer someone up. One would be hard pressed to claim that
      those charitably kind uses of laughter were forbidden.

      Humility is truth, remember that one? As Sheen observed, both the sense of faith
      and the sense of humor are the terribly important ability to see through things! The
      good monks I described who rarely laughed were not morose. They were not so because
      they were holy enough to know better! They were cheerful, joyful men. That stands in
      high (and pleasant!) relief to being either a crank or a buffoon.

      That's the issue here: being holy makes us humble, being holy makes
      us avoid extremes!

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please for Fr. Damian, 88, of St. Leo Abbey, hospitalized for heart problems. Fr. Damian taught me much of what I have passed on to others and some of you will recall that I quote him at times in these reflections. Prayers for the repose of the soul of Lillian S., for whom we prayed. She died fortified by the sacraments and just about all the consolations that the Church can offer a dying person. Deo gratias! Prayers for her son, Tom P., and all her family. Tom thanks all for their prayers. Yesterday I got the name of the young fellow killed after a manhunt wrong. His name is Jacob, not Jason, but God understands. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        they are too polite or charitable to do so!

        Having said that about ignorance, let me jump in to defend valid
        laughter and truthful senses of humor. Merely being curmudgeonly and
        not laughing is definitely NOT the idea! That treats the symptom, not
        the cause! Joyless, cranky, unduly serious people who take
        themselves, above all, FAR too seriously, are every bit as much out
        of touch with reality as the braying mules.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for Richard's aunt, for Richard and all her family. She is going in
          for removal of lumps from her breast and there is a history of breast cancer
          in her family. Prayers for Paula, recovering from a heart attack and stents
          being put in her arteries. Prayers for Jeff, serious crisis now, long bedridden
          and paraplegic. Prayers for Steven, early 20's, killed in Iraq, and for all
          his family, especially his grandmother. Prayers for a happy death and eternal
          rest for him and for all the thousands dying there. How sadly immune we can
          become to the daily tallies of dead, of any nationality: each death rends a
          family somehow. The ripples go out in every sad direction. Let us pray for all
          whose lives have been forever changed by war.

          Prayers for Luana, dying of cancer, long estranged from one of her sons who
          has now gotten back in touch with his birth family after almost 20
          years. Prayers for all that God's will be done. Special prayers for Luana's
          happy death and eternal rest, that she may be open to getting the sacramental
          ministrations she badly needs at this time. Prayers for her son, that he may
          be able to help her do so, a great gift for them both. Prayers for Pat,
          that, if it is God's will, a long-sought job offer comes through, that all may be
          done in accord with His will and for Him. Prayers for a mother who had a
          knee replacement and her daughter who suffered from extreme fatigue and
          depression while trying to care for her. May they both continue to mend well! Lily,
          the child we have been praying for came through her surgery and is off the
          ventilator, though still likely to die of renal failure, she may, in fact, be
          able to go home, a great joy for her Mom and family. Deo gratias! Prayers for
          Elias, that he receive the gift of more silence and for his marriage annulment
          and trying to discern a vocation, also for his brother-in-law, just out of
          ICU with a serious illness, complicated by alcoholism. Prayers for Lisa who is
          going through a very difficult time right now emotionally, and for her Mom
          and all her family. Deo gratias, Scott, whose head injury we prayed about has
          had successful surgery and is in ICU. He fractured 5 thoracic vertebrae, but
          can move all his extremities, thanks be to God! His family is very grateful
          for all our prayers, keep 'em up! Lord, help us all as You know and will.
[...]

          or a discreet chuckle would have been most usual for them. They were
          not quick to laugh, nor did they roar loudly with laughter.

          There's another connection between speech and laughter here. Their
          moderate, virtuous use is connected to wisdom, which is why the person
          who rarely speaks at all is usually listened to when they do say
          something. Ditto the use of laughter. If Br. X, who laughs at
          everything, including things that aren't funny, howls in laughter,

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 6, 2008

            Deo gratias, Scottie's knee replacement went very well and Liz's intention was answered, too.

            Jack, prostate cancer and now atrial fibrillation, in hospital, and especially for Pat, his wife and David and all their children. David and Jane just lost Jane's Dad.

            Eleanor, mid-50s who lost her husband 3 months ago, now struggling with advanced lung cancer after ovarian cancer ... and for their teenage daughter Maggie...

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6

              +PAX

              Prayers for Deacon Bill and for Barbara B., both had birthdays on Feb. 6, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Prayers for C., about to celebrate 31 years of sobriety in AA, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Clarence, and for his wife, Eva, and all their family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for James and his wife, who just got their marriage blessed in the Church, many blessed years together!

              Prayers for Sammy and the school he wants to help in Africa.

              Prayers for Negris, who just made Final Oblation at the Benedictine Monastery of Hawaii.

              The tenth degree of humility
              is that he be not ready and quick to laugh,
              for it is written,
              "The fool lifts up his voice in laughter" (Eccles. 21:23).

              REFLECTION

              Face it, beloveds, speech and laughter have a lot in common! Both are
              often fake, insincere, nervous or empty. Both are often employed for
              no reason other than to break a silence which makes us uncomfortable.
              Both are frequently unnecessary. To the degree that both are
              sometimes false, they are destructive of truth and, therefore, of humility.

              The issue here is NOT having a sense of humor, all of us need that.
              It is having a hair trigger on same or, worse. It's having a
              catastrophic first strike capability to laugh when no one else does,
              to see humor where it truly does not exist, or to be silly in the
              presence of those far wiser than oneself.

              The good monks I have known have laughed. The best monks,
              however, did not laugh easily. A knowing, warm smile with bright eyes
              or a discreet chuckle would have been most usual for them. They were
              not quick to laugh, nor did they roar loudly with laughter.

              There's another connection between speech and laughter here. Their
              moderate, virtuous use is connected to wisdom, which is why the person
              who rarely speaks at all is usually listened to when they do say
              something. Ditto the use of laughter. If Br. X, who laughs at
              everything, including things that aren't funny, howls in laughter,
              people don't ascribe much to the affair. On the other hand, if Br. Z,
              who is NOT given to laughter, even chuckles it is a sign that
              something is REALLY funny!

              Having denounced bad laughter, let me jump in to defend valid
              laughter and truthful senses of humor. Merely being curmudgeonly and
              not laughing is definitely NOT the idea!  Joyless, cranky, unduly serious

              people who take themselves, above all, FAR too seriously, are every

              bit as much out of touch with reality as the braying mules.

              Both laughter and speech can be cruel and ought never to be so for the