Holy Rule for Feb. 5

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2005

      Deo gratias and continued prayers for Mary Lou: her initial tests showed no further stroke activity or tumor, but she is now being followed for other neurological possibilities, and for her husband, Richard, and their family. Prayers for the newborn Amelie and her joyful parents, Rosy and James. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      The eighth degree of humility
      is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
      by the common Rule of the monastery
      and the example of the elders.

      REFLECTION

      I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
      career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
      by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
      many in the rather egocentric late 20th century. Actually, though
      both men sang it as an apologia/defense for their lives, by the time
      they got around to recording it, an apology in the more usual sense
      might have been much more in order.

      Couple these two guys with a third, Tony Bennett, in an imaginary trio
      for another hit, "I've Gotta Be Me" and you have the secular rationale
      of the self in a nutshell. I really love Tony Bennett, and I used to own a
      copy of his recording of "I've Gotta Be Me", but now I rather wish he'd
      passed up on that one.

      Both songs take the healthy notion of self and elevate it to a level
      of distortion and falsity. Like any heresy, they erroneously elevate
      a part of truth to being the whole truth and that spells trouble. Our
      selves are wonderful, unique, precious gifts, so are children. Leave
      either unbridled and malformed and you will regret it.

      Humility forms rightly because it is truth. Like the Gospel itself,
      humility is the exact reverse of many a worldly tune. The real,
      objective truth lies in the paradox, in the tension of yes AND no to
      many things which the world would accept unquestioningly as "YES!"

      So, here comes the 8th degree. It's message is that it is most safe
      to assume that doing it one's own way is neither right nor terribly
      bright. We may find that sometimes we are right, but even there, so
      long as the action is morally neutral, the wise course is subjection
      to the common mind. Benedictines swim in schools, it's our nature to
      do so.

      In fact, even doing it someone else's tested, tried and true way
      makes no sense. God calls us to the house and the observance that
      will best suit us. If we have made a mistake in hearing Him, He will
      somehow gets us to transfer (unless we STILL can't hear Him!)
      Otherwise, let things alone.

      We come to a distinct monastery and congregation, to the Rule, to be
      taught, not to teach them. We come to be directed, not to direct, to
      be formed, not to form. If we allow all those things to happen to us
      in humility we quite likely WILL be elements of change for the better
      in the community's history, but that change will be one planned by
      God, not ourselves.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2007

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of three people killed in a
          small airplane crash near New Bedford, Massachusetts, and for all who mourn them.

          Prayers, please, for Sandy, a second stem cell re-implantation of her own
          stem cells on Tuesday for multiple myeloma. She would appreciate continued
          prayers for remission and success of the transplant and assures us all of her
          prayers for us. Scott, whom we prayed the other day after his head injury at
          work has come through surgery all right, but still has not regained
          consciousness. Continued prayers for him, his sister, Sheila, and all their family. Lord,
          help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

          The eighth degree of humility
          is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
          by the common Rule of the monastery
          and the example of the elders.

          REFLECTION

          I am a much bigger fan of early Sinatra than I am of his later
          career. One of the hits of his closing years, which was also recorded
          by Elvis, was "My Way." It quickly became the defining anthem for
          many in the rather egocentric late 20th century. Actually, though
          both men sang it as an apologia/defense for their lives, by the time
          they got around to recording it, an apology in the more usual sense
          of the term might have been much more in order.

[...]

          In fact, even doing it some other monastery's tested, tried and true way

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2008

            For the spirirtual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

            Dan, for a happy death and eternal rest. He died after a long and difficult illness also for his wife and family.

            Marie who is in her 80s and is suffering from a bad bout of pneumonia.

            Mark who is still battling depression.

            Jim, suffering from S.A.D and is having a tough time.

            Maria, diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and is in hospice.

            Laura, Fr. Paul's Mother, 96 and dying, and for Fr. Paul battling painful sciatica while trying to care for her.

            That as we start Lent this Wednesday that all those seeking God will find peace.