Holy Rule for Feb. 4

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2005

      Prayers, please for the emotional and spiritual healing of Agnes, psychologically severely wounded, and for Mariusz, her boyfriend, who hopes that when she is well they can marry and start a family, if God wills that. Prayers, too, for Trisha, a very painful medical condition has her quite impaired and she hopes to be well to work in time to fulfill her obligations to a guest later this month. Now there's a Benedictine concept! Prayers, too, for Pope John Paul. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      The seventh degree of humility
      is that he consider himself lower and of less account
      than anyone else,
      and this not only in verbal protestation
      but also with the most heartfelt inner conviction,
      humbling himself and saying with the Prophet,
      "But I am a worm and no man,
      the scorn of men and the outcast of the people" (Ps. 21:7).
      "After being exalted, I have been humbled
      and covered with confusion" (Ps. 87:16).
      And again,
      "It is good for me that You have humbled me,
      that I may learn Your commandments" (Ps. 118:71).

      REFLECTION

      No one need worry whether or not the blue jay population of our
      forest will make it through the winter! Mary Kenny keeps the feeder
      full and the blue jays bully and terrorize all the other birds-
      including members of their own species lower in the pecking order.
      And it is LITERALLY a pecking order! While they are pretty birds,
      once in action their belligerent personalities will dispel many a
      romantic notion!

      Contrast the cardinals and chickadees, both far lovelier to look at,
      and both well aware that they need to stay out of the jays' way! One
      imagines that the cardinals, strikingly red, might be as numerous as
      their blue cousins if they were anywhere near as combative. Below
      even these in the hierarchy are the slate juncos. None too eye-
      catching, a rather sooty gray, and spending almost all of their time
      gleaning on the ground, not at the feeder. It is a niche they seem
      not to mind at all. Their attraction is not in plumage, but in the
      humility of their dispositions.

      Of course, I watch all this from the dining room window and am amused.
      These scrappy jays are fighting over a front yard that they don't
      own. They are battling for food that is always there and will be
      there in plenty. And hey, they are BIRDS, right? What's all this
      crock about who's-better-than-who? It's like watching a lot of
      Lilliputians in hand-to-hand, mortal combat. It's so silly that it is
      laughable. This is my front yard, guys, not yours!

      Whoops! Just fell into the same stupid snare as the birds....

      One of the beautiful things the late Israeli astronaut on the
      Columbia, Ilan Ramon, said about the view from space was that the
      earth was just one beautiful blue ball, no boundaries, no borders,
      all one. Surely that is a glimpse of how God sees it. Therein lies
      the secret of humility: to see things as God sees them, because that
      is how things truly are! That means seeing things like neither the
      scrappy blue jay, nor the monk inside who just as foolishly thinks
      something is his to control, that he has a privilege others do not,
      that his hegemony must be protected at any cost!

      Of course, it is all too easy to see things in an nation state way,
      especially these days. One nation hates another or hates their
      agenda. Ah, but that is how it has worked out! How it started was no
      doubt one incident, lost in the mists of time, forgotten except for
      the rivalry it engendered, which took on a life of its own. Perhaps
      the progenitors of two warring nations of today met once at the same
      oasis with their flocks. Maybe one decided it was hers, maybe both
      did. At any rate, the fallout was terrible for centuries.

      Each of us faces a desert oasis with others. How little we reflect
      that our actions there could change history. We will never know until
      heaven how our choices to assert or defer literally change the
      history of the cosmos, however slightly. All things start out small,
      but then they grow! Which outcome do you wish to nourish with your
      life?

      Believe me, what we do with our hearts truly does affect the whole universe.

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006

        Prayers, please, for 4 marriages in crisis. Prayers, too, for D., trying to let go and let God, and for someone addicted to Internet porn. Prayers for John, on his birthday, for graces to continue being the wonderful husband and father he is to Trish and their family, prayers for them all. Prayers for Ed, needs cataract surgery on both eyes, especially his left, and knee replacements on both legs. Also for Denise, multiple health problems since buying a new home, and for Virginia, severe arthritis. Prayers for Francesca, having trouble adjusting to a new baby sister, and for her parents, who need more patience with their eldest daughter. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        not to mind at all, in fact, it is a survival technique. Their attraction is
        not in plumage, but in the humility of their dispositions.

        Of course, I watch all this from the dining room window and am amused.
        These scrappy jays are fighting over a front yard that they don't
        own. They are battling for food that is always there and will be
        there in plenty. And hey, they are BIRDS, right? What's all this
        business about who's-better-than-who? It's like watching a lot of
        Lilliputians in hand-to-hand, mortal combat. It's so silly that it is
        laughable. This is my front yard, guys, not yours!

        Whoops! Just fell into the same stupid snare as the birds....
        The yard is God's. All things are God's; birds, you, me, the whole
        universe!

        The Israeli astronaut, Ila Ramon, who died on the space shuttle Columbia,
        said something beautiful about the view from space. He saw that from
        there, the earth was just one beautiful blue ball, no boundaries, no borders,

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2007

          Prayers, for the happy death and eternal rest of Frank's Dad, and special
          prayers for Frank, who has left the Faith of his youth. Deo gratias and prayers
          of thanks for Dot, some clots after her knee replacement, but now recovering
          well, and for her husband, Cyril. Prayers for Peg, dysthymia and depression,
          a lot of stress at work, and grief issues, too. Prayers for peace of mind
          for Basil and Brendan and that Brendan find another gallery to sell his artwork.

          Prayers for Terese and Catherine, her Mom, monumental health issues and
          strained faith. Prayers for Carol, that she may trust and let go, let God.
          Prayers for her daughter, Melissa, that no further complications arise from her car
          accident. Prayers for a young couple who lost their first baby at birth. May
          God cradle their child and ease their pain. Prayers for Larry, who has been
          out of work for 2-3 years and is being considered in the last round of
          decisions.

          Prayers for John, dying of cancer and has heart problems fears dying of
          cancer so he stopped taking his heart tablets so he can die of a heart attack
          sadly a potential means of suicide by omission. May God protect him from this
          sinful omission. He is a lapsed Catholic, so please pray he will come back to
          the church before he dies.... Prayers for the poultry farmers in England hit
          at one massive farm by bird flu, with hundreds of thousands of birds destroye
          d. So far, Deo gratias, the outbreak seems restricted to that one place.
          Prayers for the safety of all, no human infections at this time.

          brjeromeleo@...