Holy Rule for Feb. 2

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2005
      +PAX

      Candlemas! A blessed feast of the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple to all. Candles have been associated with this feast since the time of Pope Sergius, in the 8th century. We bless all the candles we use on the altar on this day, before the procession, then we process into Church with lighted candles, just blessed. Pope Paul VI said something wonderful about the symbolism of the candles to ourselves and and I wanted to share it with you.

      �Christ Himself says, �I am the light of the world.� And we are the light, we ourselves, if we receive it from him.... But how do we receive it, how do we make it shine? ... The candle tells us: by burning, and being consumed in the burning. A spark of fire, a ray of love, an inevitable immolation are celebrated over that pure, straight candle, as, pouring forth its gift of light, it exhausts itself in silent sacrifice�

      Prayers, please, for Sr. John Aquin, today is a special feast for her, and for Sr. Carol, who entered Adrian 50 years ago today. Prayers, too, for the repose of the soul of Patty, 40, who died of cancer, for her husband Frank, her small children, Frank and Carmella, and for her father, who is now in the hospital with bone cancer, and all her family and friends.Prayers, too, for the repose of the souls of Wayne and Shirley, both of whom died after long illnesses. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      REFLECTION

      To hide one's symptoms from one's physician is to court misdiagnosis.
      If you lie to your therapist, why bother with analysis? Both these
      tactics obscure illness rather than produce health. The "health" they
      seek is nothing more than a falsehood, an illusion based on an
      incomplete view.

      It is natural for us to wish to wish that parents and abbots think
      the best of us. It is supernatural to want them to know the truth
      when they need to know it to help us. That "natural" tendency in us,
      however, is founded on a very unlovely kink: the desire to ALWAYS
      look good, ALWAYS seem in control, even when we are floundering in
      deep trouble. If parents or bosses or abbots think very highly of us,
      this temptation is even stronger; we'd rather not burst their bubble,
      we think it is to our advantage not to do so.

      The monastery is a school of the Lord's service, but it is a hospital
      of sorts, too. When we place ourselves under the care of the Holy
      Rule and an abbot, we have admitted our need for care, for treatment,
      for progress. Why deny ourselves any of those things now? I'm not
      sure, but I'll bet there are tons of easy ways to fake one's way out
      of chemical dependency treatment. Why bother? Unlike many in
      substance abuse treatment, we came to Benedictinism of our own accord.

      In Eastern monasticism, the tradition is for the disciple to confess
      thoughts to the elder every day. This is considered a crucially
      important part of monastic formation. It humbles the disciple and it
      leaves the elder in a much better position to train and advise.
      Granted, with many monastics in and out of house, most abbots would
      be unable to do this daily, but every monastic needs a confessor or
      spiritual director or spiritual co-struggler who can really know
      what's going on in their souls.

      Parents know how it feels when a child has need of them and never
      lets them know. It is an awful feeling and often the child's reasons
      (like fear or deceit,) for keeping them in the dark hurt even more.
      No parent, no boss and no abbot is perfect. They are all human and
      flawed, just like us. However, when we avoid trusting them with some
      of our dark side, we cheat ourselves of a chance to see their
      greatness called forth in compassion, mercy and wisdom.

      Balance, common sense and moderation obtain here, too. It is one
      thing not to tell one's abbot or boss something because one wishes to
      be thought well of, quite another to realize that some things, when
      there truly is no need to tell them, are best left unsaid. As Father
      Damian of St. Leo is fond of saying: "The truth is not always
      nourishing."

      Those of us inside monasteries live with our abbots. We
      get to know them. At St. Leo, we had a fairly common agreement that
      there were some things one had better NOT bring up to Abbot Fidelis
      because they would flip him out. Many could say the same things of
      their parents or boss. This is a different animal from keeping
      superiors deluded into thinking we're doing fine. However, SOMEONE
      needs to know: a spiritual director or confessor. We are too weak to
      trod the path alone.

      Family life, in either monastery or home church, must be founded on
      truth and reality to be healthy. All of us have seen flaming examples
      of dysfunction when it is not. Even though sometimes a mother will
      say: "For heaven's sake, don't tell your father!" there has to be
      SOME connection with reality. Not only is humility the reality of
      truth, but Jesus, too is the Truth. Why on earth bother seeking Him
      if we don't want Truth?

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Jim, on his birthday, many happy years and may he
        return to his Faith.

        Prayers, please, for Tom, an epidural for his back pain today, tough first
        day, but hopefully better soon. Prayers, too, for Mary Ellen, in hospice,
        nearing her death from cancer, for her happy death and eternal rest and for all
        her family. Prayers, too, for the happy death and eternal rest of Heidi's Mom,
        who has gone to God, and for Heidi and all her family. Lily, the child we
        have prayed for in the past, had another major surgery today, with a 50/50
        chance of success. It may actually hasten her death, but it is her Mom's choice to
        take the risk in hopes of having Lily at home before she dies. Strong
        prayers, please, for this brave family, for Lisa, Lily's Mom, for her Dad and her
        grandparents. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
        is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        nourishing." However, SOMEONE needs to know: a spiritual director
        or confessor. We are too weak to trod the path alone and far too
        prideful not miss the chance at humbling ourselves.

        brjeromeleo@...

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
          +PAX

          A blessed Candlemas, Feast of the Presentation of the Lord in the Temple, to all.

          Prayers for Mary McQ. on her birthday Thursday. God is outside of time>

          Prayers for the success of Dave's Confirmation class and their retreat on Saturday, may God fill their hearts.

          Prayers for the Trappist monks of Our Lady of Victory Abbey, in Kenya. Ethnic cleansing is going on and they are sheltering 125 families, no doubt at their own peril.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

          Mary Kenny, who lived in our guesthouse for five years with Comet, her dog. Comet died last month and it was a crushing loss for Mary.

          Jordan. Has flu-like symptoms and went to work with a fever. Terrified of losing his job. Pray for his Mother, Sandra, too. She's very concerned, but knows his work situation.

          Shirley and her cat, Simon has a mass on his lung and a lot is undecided about his condition. Biopsy first.

          Theresa, fighting drug addiction.

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1

            +PAX

            Blessed Candlemas, Feast of the Purification, to all. In the old calendar of the Roman rite, this marked the end of the Christmas season.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Jim, on his birthday. He died without the Sacraments after many years outside the Church, ardent prayers for him, please. We do not know what passes between God and the soul in those last instants.

            Prayers for safe travels home for Brittany and Orest.

            Prayers for Amy, as she will begin a new job, that she likes it, and keeps the job. Please also pray for her health, fertility issues, return to Church, and for the good marriage which she has.

            Prayers for Marshall D., severe calcification of the arteries, and for his family, especially Sarah.

            Prayers for Tim L., he has sarcoidosis and breathing is really hard at the moment.

            Prayers for Murli M., a successful final interview for a new job at the end of the week. Deo Gratias, prayers for some improvement in the stress levels of his present job have been answered.

            Prayers for Marjorie M., for success in finding a new position, one which will not only be better professionally, but will allow her to spend more time with her family and taking better care of her own health.

            Ardent prayers for Michael C., in his early 60's, who recently announced to his workplace that he wishes to be considered a woman, and accordingly changed his name to Michaela.

[...]

            Damian of St. Leo was fond of saying: "The truth is not always
            nourishing." However, SOMEONE needs to know: a spiritual director
            or confessor. We are too weak to trod the path alone and far too
            prideful. Let's not miss the chance of humbling ourselves.

            Family life, in either monastery or home church, must be founded on
            truth and reality to be healthy. All of us have seen flaming examples
            of dysfunction when it is not. Even though sometimes a mother will
            say: "For heaven's sake, don't tell your father!" there has to be
            SOME connection with reality. Not only is humility the reality of
            truth, but Jesus, too is the Truth. Why on earth bother seeking Him
            if we don't want Truth? Let this truth, however, always be told in
            gentleness and charity. There is a difference between the virtue of
            honesty and the vice of brutal frankness, as my confessor, Fr. Roger,
            used to say. Say a prayer, please, for Fr. Roger's eternal rest, he was a

            very dear confessor and friend.